Jacoby Ellsbury: Injury ‘nothing of a concern’
|03.24.13 at 4:31 pm ET|
CLEARWATER, Fla. — Though Jacoby Ellsbury undoubtedly left the Red Sox somewhat anxious when his right ankle started to “get real tight” after he jammed his heel into the first base bag on a catcher’s pickoff attempt, the center fielder suggested after leaving the game that his injury was little cause for concern. Indeed, he’d been an advocate of simply taping up the ankle and staying in the contest — indeed, after initially suffering the injury in the first inning, he attempted a steal of second to test it out — but the Sox decided to pull him for precautionary reasons in the second inning.
Still, Ellsbury downplayed the significance of his injury.
“I just stepped on the base and kind of rolled my ankle a little bit,” said Ellsbury. “It just got a little tight, but it’s nothing of a concern. … The way I feel, I feel good about it.”
While Ellsbury thus did not have a chance to anchor an outfield with Shane Victorino in right and Jackie Bradley Jr. in left, the Sox don’t anticipate he’ll be on the sidelines for long. Manager John Farrell said that he thinks Ellsbury, after sitting out of Monday’s game in Sarasota and following Tuesday’s off day, should be ready to play again by Wednesday.
“We took him out precautionarily, but with the jammed right heel, we’ll evaluate him in the morning,” said Farrell. “Hopefully this is nothing more than we get through the off-day on Tuesday. We’re cautiously optimistic he’d be back in the lineup once we get past the off-day.”
Ellsbury’s departure resulted in Victorino moving from right to center. He immediately encountered his own injury, when Victorino raced back to straightaway center field on a Ryan Howard liner and made a spectacular catch while slamming into the wall.
“I don’t know who won, me or the wall,” said Victorino. “But I caught it. That’s all that matters.”
However, Victorino did later have an ice pack on his right wrist.
“Advantage: Wall,” he clarified.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven