Jacoby Ellsbury: Injury ‘nothing of a concern’
|03.24.13 at 4:31 pm ET|
CLEARWATER, Fla. — Though Jacoby Ellsbury undoubtedly left the Red Sox somewhat anxious when his right ankle started to “get real tight” after he jammed his heel into the first base bag on a catcher’s pickoff attempt, the center fielder suggested after leaving the game that his injury was little cause for concern. Indeed, he’d been an advocate of simply taping up the ankle and staying in the contest — indeed, after initially suffering the injury in the first inning, he attempted a steal of second to test it out — but the Sox decided to pull him for precautionary reasons in the second inning.
Still, Ellsbury downplayed the significance of his injury.
“I just stepped on the base and kind of rolled my ankle a little bit,” said Ellsbury. “It just got a little tight, but it’s nothing of a concern. … The way I feel, I feel good about it.”
While Ellsbury thus did not have a chance to anchor an outfield with Shane Victorino in right and Jackie Bradley Jr. in left, the Sox don’t anticipate he’ll be on the sidelines for long. Manager John Farrell said that he thinks Ellsbury, after sitting out of Monday’s game in Sarasota and following Tuesday’s off day, should be ready to play again by Wednesday.
“We took him out precautionarily, but with the jammed right heel, we’ll evaluate him in the morning,” said Farrell. “Hopefully this is nothing more than we get through the off-day on Tuesday. We’re cautiously optimistic he’d be back in the lineup once we get past the off-day.”
Ellsbury’s departure resulted in Victorino moving from right to center. He immediately encountered his own injury, when Victorino raced back to straightaway center field on a Ryan Howard liner and made a spectacular catch while slamming into the wall.
“I don’t know who won, me or the wall,” said Victorino. “But I caught it. That’s all that matters.”
However, Victorino did later have an ice pack on his right wrist.
“Advantage: Wall,” he clarified.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins