Jacoby Ellsbury: Injury ‘nothing of a concern’
|03.24.13 at 4:31 pm ET|
CLEARWATER, Fla. — Though Jacoby Ellsbury undoubtedly left the Red Sox somewhat anxious when his right ankle started to “get real tight” after he jammed his heel into the first base bag on a catcher’s pickoff attempt, the center fielder suggested after leaving the game that his injury was little cause for concern. Indeed, he’d been an advocate of simply taping up the ankle and staying in the contest — indeed, after initially suffering the injury in the first inning, he attempted a steal of second to test it out — but the Sox decided to pull him for precautionary reasons in the second inning.
Still, Ellsbury downplayed the significance of his injury.
“I just stepped on the base and kind of rolled my ankle a little bit,” said Ellsbury. “It just got a little tight, but it’s nothing of a concern. … The way I feel, I feel good about it.”
While Ellsbury thus did not have a chance to anchor an outfield with Shane Victorino in right and Jackie Bradley Jr. in left, the Sox don’t anticipate he’ll be on the sidelines for long. Manager John Farrell said that he thinks Ellsbury, after sitting out of Monday’s game in Sarasota and following Tuesday’s off day, should be ready to play again by Wednesday.
“We took him out precautionarily, but with the jammed right heel, we’ll evaluate him in the morning,” said Farrell. “Hopefully this is nothing more than we get through the off-day on Tuesday. We’re cautiously optimistic he’d be back in the lineup once we get past the off-day.”
Ellsbury’s departure resulted in Victorino moving from right to center. He immediately encountered his own injury, when Victorino raced back to straightaway center field on a Ryan Howard liner and made a spectacular catch while slamming into the wall.
“I don’t know who won, me or the wall,” said Victorino. “But I caught it. That’s all that matters.”
However, Victorino did later have an ice pack on his right wrist.
“Advantage: Wall,” he clarified.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Notes from the Field: Jason Groome debuts on Day Four
- Chatham using size to his advantage at shortstop
- Fort Report: Another round of cuts as Opening Day nears
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two