Jacoby Ellsbury leaves game with right heel injury
|03.24.13 at 1:40 pm ET|
CLEARWATER, Fla. — Red Sox center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury was removed from Sunday’s game in the top of the second inning due to what the team described as precautionary reasons after suffering a jammed right heel. He’ll be re-evaluated on Monday.
Ellsbury’s exit occurred one inning after he made a somewhat awkward semi-slide into the first base bag on a catcher’s pickoff attempt. Ellsbury, who had reached on catcher’s interference, initially stayed in the game and even attempted a steal of second base, where he was gunned down on his first official attempt of the spring. He also played center in the bottom of the first.
However, when his turn to bat came around in the top of the second, he was replaced by pinch-hitter Bryce Brentz. In the bottom of the second, Brentz headed to right field with Shane Victorino moving from right to center and Jackie Bradley Jr. remaining in left field.
More updates will be offered when they are available. For complete team coverage, visit weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins