Jacoby Ellsbury leaves game with right heel injury
|03.24.13 at 1:40 pm ET|
CLEARWATER, Fla. — Red Sox center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury was removed from Sunday’s game in the top of the second inning due to what the team described as precautionary reasons after suffering a jammed right heel. He’ll be re-evaluated on Monday.
Ellsbury’s exit occurred one inning after he made a somewhat awkward semi-slide into the first base bag on a catcher’s pickoff attempt. Ellsbury, who had reached on catcher’s interference, initially stayed in the game and even attempted a steal of second base, where he was gunned down on his first official attempt of the spring. He also played center in the bottom of the first.
However, when his turn to bat came around in the top of the second, he was replaced by pinch-hitter Bryce Brentz. In the bottom of the second, Brentz headed to right field with Shane Victorino moving from right to center and Jackie Bradley Jr. remaining in left field.
More updates will be offered when they are available. For complete team coverage, visit weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies