Jacoby Ellsbury leaves game with right heel injury
|03.24.13 at 1:40 pm ET|
CLEARWATER, Fla. — Red Sox center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury was removed from Sunday’s game in the top of the second inning due to what the team described as precautionary reasons after suffering a jammed right heel. He’ll be re-evaluated on Monday.
Ellsbury’s exit occurred one inning after he made a somewhat awkward semi-slide into the first base bag on a catcher’s pickoff attempt. Ellsbury, who had reached on catcher’s interference, initially stayed in the game and even attempted a steal of second base, where he was gunned down on his first official attempt of the spring. He also played center in the bottom of the first.
However, when his turn to bat came around in the top of the second, he was replaced by pinch-hitter Bryce Brentz. In the bottom of the second, Brentz headed to right field with Shane Victorino moving from right to center and Jackie Bradley Jr. remaining in left field.
More updates will be offered when they are available. For complete team coverage, visit weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Swihart leads PawSox hit parade, Rodriguez earns first win
- Cup of Coffee: Ball stymies Mudcats, Brentz leads Pawtucket past Rochester
- Swihart learning to catch the knuckler in Pawtucket
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 7: Low Minors Pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Brentz walks off for PawSox home opener
- Cup of Coffee: Jackie Bradley Jr. continues hot start, Pawtucket falls in doubleheader
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 6: Mid-Minors Pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Margot, Longhi, and Cecchini provide the power
- Podcast Ep. 73: Scout Talk and Season's Start
- Cup of Coffee: Abbreviated 2015 debuts for Kopech, Barnes