Red Sox health updates: Jacoby Ellsbury, David Ortiz and Stephen Drew
|03.25.13 at 12:42 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — A loud sound emanated from the batting cages outside the Red Sox clubhouse. Very loud. Reverberating, even.
It was the sort of sound that typically turns heads of scouts and coaches by batting cages. A Red Sox prospect ready to break out? Nope. Upon further inspection, it was David Ortiz, taking yet another day of batting practice inside the cages, continuing what has been a deliberate but steady workload since returning to baseball activities last week, to the point where the Sox are hopeful that he might take batting practice on the field with his teammates sometime this week.
“The biggest thing is the number of swings he’s taking, he’s not feeling any irritation or push-back from the volume he’s going through,” manager John Farrell told reporters in Sarasota.
Meanwhile, Stephen Drew had another day of full workouts on the field that included taking groundballs and batting practice, including at higher velocities against a pitching machine. Farrell told reporters that the Sox will soon have a sense of what further activity Drew might be able to participate in over the coming days, before the team breaks camp on Saturday. Farrell suggested it’s realistic to think about minor league spring training games for the shortstop.
Jacoby Ellsbury, who rolled his ankle on Sunday and was removed from the game against the Phillies for precautionary reasons, did not take part in baseball activities on Monday, thus giving him back-to-back days off (with the Sox having a scheduled off-day on Tuesday). But the outfielder said that he’s fine, and that he expects to play on Wednesday.
“Got a workout in, saw the training staff. We’ll be alright,” said Ellsbury. “[Playing Wednesday] would hopefully be the plan.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Updates on Red Sox Star Pablo Sandoval's Injury
- Ortiz Looks Determined to Go out with a Bang
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Kyri Washington rips pair of doubles in Greenville loss
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Swihart lead Pawtucket on a light night
- Michael Chavis placed on disabled list with torn thumb ligament (UPDATE: report rescinded)
- Weekly Notes: Light, Cuevas get first-time call-up
- Cup of Coffee: Lakins shoves, Drive bats come alive