Red Sox health updates: Jacoby Ellsbury, David Ortiz and Stephen Drew
|03.25.13 at 12:42 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — A loud sound emanated from the batting cages outside the Red Sox clubhouse. Very loud. Reverberating, even.
It was the sort of sound that typically turns heads of scouts and coaches by batting cages. A Red Sox prospect ready to break out? Nope. Upon further inspection, it was David Ortiz, taking yet another day of batting practice inside the cages, continuing what has been a deliberate but steady workload since returning to baseball activities last week, to the point where the Sox are hopeful that he might take batting practice on the field with his teammates sometime this week.
“The biggest thing is the number of swings he’s taking, he’s not feeling any irritation or push-back from the volume he’s going through,” manager John Farrell told reporters in Sarasota.
Meanwhile, Stephen Drew had another day of full workouts on the field that included taking groundballs and batting practice, including at higher velocities against a pitching machine. Farrell told reporters that the Sox will soon have a sense of what further activity Drew might be able to participate in over the coming days, before the team breaks camp on Saturday. Farrell suggested it’s realistic to think about minor league spring training games for the shortstop.
Jacoby Ellsbury, who rolled his ankle on Sunday and was removed from the game against the Phillies for precautionary reasons, did not take part in baseball activities on Monday, thus giving him back-to-back days off (with the Sox having a scheduled off-day on Tuesday). But the outfielder said that he’s fine, and that he expects to play on Wednesday.
“Got a workout in, saw the training staff. We’ll be alright,” said Ellsbury. “[Playing Wednesday] would hopefully be the plan.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Jackie Bradley, Jr.