Red Sox health updates: Jacoby Ellsbury, David Ortiz and Stephen Drew
|03.25.13 at 12:42 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — A loud sound emanated from the batting cages outside the Red Sox clubhouse. Very loud. Reverberating, even.
It was the sort of sound that typically turns heads of scouts and coaches by batting cages. A Red Sox prospect ready to break out? Nope. Upon further inspection, it was David Ortiz, taking yet another day of batting practice inside the cages, continuing what has been a deliberate but steady workload since returning to baseball activities last week, to the point where the Sox are hopeful that he might take batting practice on the field with his teammates sometime this week.
“The biggest thing is the number of swings he’s taking, he’s not feeling any irritation or push-back from the volume he’s going through,” manager John Farrell told reporters in Sarasota.
Meanwhile, Stephen Drew had another day of full workouts on the field that included taking groundballs and batting practice, including at higher velocities against a pitching machine. Farrell told reporters that the Sox will soon have a sense of what further activity Drew might be able to participate in over the coming days, before the team breaks camp on Saturday. Farrell suggested it’s realistic to think about minor league spring training games for the shortstop.
Jacoby Ellsbury, who rolled his ankle on Sunday and was removed from the game against the Phillies for precautionary reasons, did not take part in baseball activities on Monday, thus giving him back-to-back days off (with the Sox having a scheduled off-day on Tuesday). But the outfielder said that he’s fine, and that he expects to play on Wednesday.
“Got a workout in, saw the training staff. We’ll be alright,” said Ellsbury. “[Playing Wednesday] would hopefully be the plan.”
- Preliminary 'New Stars for Young Stars' lineup announced
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Big weeks for Acosta and Welch
- Gary DiSarcina named Baseball America Minor League Manager of the Year
- Red Sox non-tender Ryan Kalish, Andrew Bailey
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Jesus Loya solid at the plate in Mexico
- Help Wanted: Staff Editor, Scouts
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #48: The Slow Season
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Attention shifts to Caribbean, Jerez shining in Venezuela
- Luis Ortega traded to Brewers for reliever Burke Badenhop
- Red Sox re-sign infielder Brandon Snyder