Red Sox send three to minor league camp, including Xander Bogaerts
|03.25.13 at 4:53 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — The Red Sox made three cuts to their big league roster on Monday, reassigning shortstop Xander Bogaerts and infielders Jonathan Diaz and Drew Sutton to minor league camp. Bogaerts was invited to camp as a non-roster invitee; he missed most of Red Sox camp while playing for the Netherlands in the World Baseball Classic, and while he had little opportunity to make an impact offensively (going 2-for-7 with a walk), he did have a chance to make a favorable impression on team officials with his defensive work at shortstop, further cementing the growing organizational opinion that he has a chance to reach the big leagues at that premium position.
Diaz and Sutton both signed minor league deals with the Sox this winter. Sutton hit .278 with a .409 OBP, though he did struggle defensively. Still, as he did with the Sox in 2011, he has a chance to serve as a depth option at third base if the Sox should have a need at that position. Diaz hit .240 with a .345 OBP.
Bogaerts is expected to open the year in Double-A Portland, while Sutton and Diaz are likely to open the year in Triple-A Pawtucket.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: Another round of cuts as Opening Day nears
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players