Red Sox send three to minor league camp, including Xander Bogaerts
|03.25.13 at 4:53 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — The Red Sox made three cuts to their big league roster on Monday, reassigning shortstop Xander Bogaerts and infielders Jonathan Diaz and Drew Sutton to minor league camp. Bogaerts was invited to camp as a non-roster invitee; he missed most of Red Sox camp while playing for the Netherlands in the World Baseball Classic, and while he had little opportunity to make an impact offensively (going 2-for-7 with a walk), he did have a chance to make a favorable impression on team officials with his defensive work at shortstop, further cementing the growing organizational opinion that he has a chance to reach the big leagues at that premium position.
Diaz and Sutton both signed minor league deals with the Sox this winter. Sutton hit .278 with a .409 OBP, though he did struggle defensively. Still, as he did with the Sox in 2011, he has a chance to serve as a depth option at third base if the Sox should have a need at that position. Diaz hit .240 with a .345 OBP.
Bogaerts is expected to open the year in Double-A Portland, while Sutton and Diaz are likely to open the year in Triple-A Pawtucket.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington
- Cup of Coffee: Kent dominates, Devers scores game-winner
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada homers twice, Kopech strikes out nine
- Podcast Ep. #102: Groome signs, Dave deals, podcast delivered
- Weekly Notes: Groome signs, Espinoza traded, Marrero is All-Star MVP