Red Sox send three to minor league camp, including Xander Bogaerts
|03.25.13 at 4:53 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — The Red Sox made three cuts to their big league roster on Monday, reassigning shortstop Xander Bogaerts and infielders Jonathan Diaz and Drew Sutton to minor league camp. Bogaerts was invited to camp as a non-roster invitee; he missed most of Red Sox camp while playing for the Netherlands in the World Baseball Classic, and while he had little opportunity to make an impact offensively (going 2-for-7 with a walk), he did have a chance to make a favorable impression on team officials with his defensive work at shortstop, further cementing the growing organizational opinion that he has a chance to reach the big leagues at that premium position.
Diaz and Sutton both signed minor league deals with the Sox this winter. Sutton hit .278 with a .409 OBP, though he did struggle defensively. Still, as he did with the Sox in 2011, he has a chance to serve as a depth option at third base if the Sox should have a need at that position. Diaz hit .240 with a .345 OBP.
Bogaerts is expected to open the year in Double-A Portland, while Sutton and Diaz are likely to open the year in Triple-A Pawtucket.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Is Patriots' Day? Your Introduction to Boston's Greatest Holiday
- Stock Up, Stock Down for Boston Red Sox's Top 5 Prospects for Week 1
- Jackie Bradley Jr. to Be Placed on 10-Day DL with Knee Injury
- David Price's 1st Bullpen Session Since Elbow Injury Captured on Video
- Chris Sale Produces Dominant Debut Red Sox Needed to See
- 5 Bold Predictions for the Boston Red Sox's 2017 Season
- Boston Red Sox: Complete 2017 Season Preview, Predictions
- The Write-Up: Jalen Beeks
- Cup of Coffee: Olt leads Sea Dogs to walkoff win
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks tosses complete-game shutout
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Victor Garcia
- Cup of Coffee: Ockimey homers twice, Salem sweeps twin bill
- The Write-Up: Teddy Stankiewicz
- System Restart '17: Catcher
- Cup of Coffee: Mother nature delays Chavis; Moncada stomps PawSox
- Minor Notes: Chavis turns heads in three-homer game
- System Restart '17: Outfield