Red Sox send three to minor league camp, including Xander Bogaerts
|03.25.13 at 4:53 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. — The Red Sox made three cuts to their big league roster on Monday, reassigning shortstop Xander Bogaerts and infielders Jonathan Diaz and Drew Sutton to minor league camp. Bogaerts was invited to camp as a non-roster invitee; he missed most of Red Sox camp while playing for the Netherlands in the World Baseball Classic, and while he had little opportunity to make an impact offensively (going 2-for-7 with a walk), he did have a chance to make a favorable impression on team officials with his defensive work at shortstop, further cementing the growing organizational opinion that he has a chance to reach the big leagues at that premium position.
Diaz and Sutton both signed minor league deals with the Sox this winter. Sutton hit .278 with a .409 OBP, though he did struggle defensively. Still, as he did with the Sox in 2011, he has a chance to serve as a depth option at third base if the Sox should have a need at that position. Diaz hit .240 with a .345 OBP.
Bogaerts is expected to open the year in Double-A Portland, while Sutton and Diaz are likely to open the year in Triple-A Pawtucket.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- SoxProspects Staff Announcement: Promotions and new hires!
- Hanley Ramirez: A former top prospect returns
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday