Red Sox release Lyle Overbay
|03.26.13 at 11:06 am ET|
The team has yet to reveal a decision regarding Ryan Sweeney, with whom they face a deadline this week as well.
Overbay, a 12-year major league veteran, played for the Diamondbacks and Braves last season, hitting .259/.331/.397/.727 in 65 games (131 plate appearances). The 36-year-old hit .220 in 19 spring training games this year.
Sweeney, acquired from the Athletics in the 2011 trade that also brought Andrew Bailey to Boston, signed a minor league deal to remain with the Sox in January.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- David Ortiz Discusses Retirement from Baseball, Time with Red Sox
- Jackie Bradley Jr. Is Now a Red Sox Star
- Big Papi Cementing His Legend with a Bang
- Ortiz Passes Banks, Mathews for 22nd Place on MLB's HR List
- Red Sox's High-Octane Offense Fueling Rise Back to Prominence
- Red Sox Score Double-Digit Runs for 4th Consecutive Game
- Red Sox 1st Team Since 1999 to Score 13+ Runs in 3 Straight
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi, Devers record multi-hit games
- Cup of Coffee: Almonte throws six no-hit innings
- Cup of Coffee: Owens, others struggle on mound
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza dominates in mid-week matinee
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez fires seven strong innings in rehab start
- Cup of Coffee: Raudes strikes out eight over six scoreless frames
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez to start tomorrow for Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shines again for Salem
- The Write-Up: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Cup of Coffee: Kemp homers twice, Light hits 101