Red Sox release Lyle Overbay
|03.26.13 at 11:06 am ET|
The team has yet to reveal a decision regarding Ryan Sweeney, with whom they face a deadline this week as well.
Overbay, a 12-year major league veteran, played for the Diamondbacks and Braves last season, hitting .259/.331/.397/.727 in 65 games (131 plate appearances). The 36-year-old hit .220 in 19 spring training games this year.
Sweeney, acquired from the Athletics in the 2011 trade that also brought Andrew Bailey to Boston, signed a minor league deal to remain with the Sox in January.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo
- Red Sox deal Anthony Ranaudo to Rangers for Robbie Ross Jr.
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Perth heads to the playoffs
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings
- Red Sox acquire Danny Rosenbaum from Nationals for Dan Butler