Red Sox release Lyle Overbay
|03.26.13 at 11:06 am ET|
The team has yet to reveal a decision regarding Ryan Sweeney, with whom they face a deadline this week as well.
Overbay, a 12-year major league veteran, played for the Diamondbacks and Braves last season, hitting .259/.331/.397/.727 in 65 games (131 plate appearances). The 36-year-old hit .220 in 19 spring training games this year.
Sweeney, acquired from the Athletics in the 2011 trade that also brought Andrew Bailey to Boston, signed a minor league deal to remain with the Sox in January.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins