Red Sox release Lyle Overbay
|03.26.13 at 11:06 am ET|
The team has yet to reveal a decision regarding Ryan Sweeney, with whom they face a deadline this week as well.
Overbay, a 12-year major league veteran, played for the Diamondbacks and Braves last season, hitting .259/.331/.397/.727 in 65 games (131 plate appearances). The 36-year-old hit .220 in 19 spring training games this year.
Sweeney, acquired from the Athletics in the 2011 trade that also brought Andrew Bailey to Boston, signed a minor league deal to remain with the Sox in January.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- After draft slide, Shawaryn regaining peak form in Lowell
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada shows off power and defense as he eyes the big leagues
- 2014 First-rounder Michael Chavis promoted to High A Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Jason Groome era begins with two scoreless innings
- Weekly Notes: Groome debuts, Kopech and Dalbec stay hot
- Cup of Coffee: Salem wins 10th straight, Hill, Tubbs carry Lowell
- Podcast Ep. #104: BeninBoston
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Luis Alexander Basabe
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits in Portland's slugfest
- Cup of Coffee: Dalbec keeps hitting, Dubon, Atkins lead Portland