Striving to ‘fill the ballpark,’ Red Sox lower prices on refreshments in April
|03.26.13 at 9:21 am ET|
In another clear sign that the Red Sox are facing issues with ticket sales this season, the team will be offering discounts on food and drinks in April.
The offers include two-for-one specials on hot dogs, a $2.50 discount on beer, a $2.25 break on hot chocolate, and free kids meals before the third inning.
“We’re looking for ways to fill the ballpark, and hopefully this will help,” Red Sox COO Sam Kennedy told The Boston Globe. “But more importantly, that it be received as a thank you given everything we’ve been through the last nine, 10 years together. We thought it was an appropriate gesture.”
The Red Sox open their home schedule on April 8 against the Orioles. That game is expected to be a sellout, but tickets remain for all Fenway games during the opening month.
The Red Sox have sold out 793 consecutive games (at least as per their definition), but CEO Larry Lucchino is on record as saying that the streak is almost certain to end in April.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings
- Red Sox acquire Danny Rosenbaum from Nationals for Dan Butler
- Red Sox announce front office moves
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Playoffs begin, Marban pitches well in Australia
- Betts, Castillo highlight Red Sox Rookie Development Program participants