Striving to ‘fill the ballpark,’ Red Sox lower prices on refreshments in April
|03.26.13 at 9:21 am ET|
In another clear sign that the Red Sox are facing issues with ticket sales this season, the team will be offering discounts on food and drinks in April.
The offers include two-for-one specials on hot dogs, a $2.50 discount on beer, a $2.25 break on hot chocolate, and free kids meals before the third inning.
“We’re looking for ways to fill the ballpark, and hopefully this will help,” Red Sox COO Sam Kennedy told The Boston Globe. “But more importantly, that it be received as a thank you given everything we’ve been through the last nine, 10 years together. We thought it was an appropriate gesture.”
The Red Sox open their home schedule on April 8 against the Orioles. That game is expected to be a sellout, but tickets remain for all Fenway games during the opening month.
The Red Sox have sold out 793 consecutive games (at least as per their definition), but CEO Larry Lucchino is on record as saying that the streak is almost certain to end in April.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Updates on Red Sox Star Pablo Sandoval's Injury
- Ortiz Looks Determined to Go out with a Bang
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Kyri Washington rips pair of doubles in Greenville loss
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Swihart lead Pawtucket on a light night
- Michael Chavis placed on disabled list with torn thumb ligament (UPDATE: report rescinded)
- Weekly Notes: Light, Cuevas get first-time call-up
- Cup of Coffee: Lakins shoves, Drive bats come alive
- Red Sox recall Light and Owens for Sunday night tilt