On the day before cuts, Jackie Bradley takes stock of his situation
|03.27.13 at 5:29 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. ‘ Jackie Bradley is on the verge of something he never some coming two months ago.
With the Red Sox set to make their final round of cuts Thursday, the outfielder spoke after the Sox’ 5-1 loss to the Marlins about the possibility of being added to the 25-man roster for Opening Day.
‘I feel good,’ said Bradley after going 1-for-4, notching a first-inning single. ‘I don’t really know the chances. I don’t really worry about it. I sleep well at night.’
When asked if the Red Sox had discussed their plans with him, Bradley said, ‘No. They’re pretty good at keeping secrets.’
Bradley’s batting average currently sits at .431, having gone 10-for-22 in his last nine games.
The team would have to find a spot for him on the 40-man roster if it was to promote Bradley.
‘It never really crossed my mind,’ he said when asked about what chances he thought he had of making the team at the outset of camp. ‘I was just excited to be able to go to big league camp and then all this came about. It’s been a good run. I’m just enjoying it and I’m trying to improve every single day. I can’t stress that enough. Just working. Patience is a key virtue, so we’ll see what happens.’
He later added, ‘I was just trying to just make a good impression. With the new staff coming in, I didn’t even really think about or fathom the possibility of playing in the big leagues. It was just more make a good impression, get my work in and learn from the veteran guys and see what they have to offer.’
Bradley said if he does make the team, his preference isn’t to wear No. 74, the number he was assigned for the duration of spring training. (His preferred number, No. 19, is taken by Koji Uehara.)
‘No,’ he said regarding wanting to keep the temporary uniform identification, ‘because the umpires aren’t going to give so good calls.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball stymies Mudcats, Brentz leads Pawtucket past Rochester
- Swihart learning to catch the knuckler in Pawtucket
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 7: Low Minors Pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Brentz walks off for PawSox home opener
- Cup of Coffee: Jackie Bradley Jr. continues hot start, Pawtucket falls in doubleheader
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 6: Mid-Minors Pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Margot, Longhi, and Cecchini provide the power
- Podcast Ep. 73: Scout Talk and Season's Start
- Cup of Coffee: Abbreviated 2015 debuts for Kopech, Barnes
- Weekly Notes: Let the games begin