On the day before cuts, Jackie Bradley takes stock of his situation
|03.27.13 at 5:29 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. ‘ Jackie Bradley is on the verge of something he never some coming two months ago.
With the Red Sox set to make their final round of cuts Thursday, the outfielder spoke after the Sox’ 5-1 loss to the Marlins about the possibility of being added to the 25-man roster for Opening Day.
‘I feel good,’ said Bradley after going 1-for-4, notching a first-inning single. ‘I don’t really know the chances. I don’t really worry about it. I sleep well at night.’
When asked if the Red Sox had discussed their plans with him, Bradley said, ‘No. They’re pretty good at keeping secrets.’
Bradley’s batting average currently sits at .431, having gone 10-for-22 in his last nine games.
The team would have to find a spot for him on the 40-man roster if it was to promote Bradley.
‘It never really crossed my mind,’ he said when asked about what chances he thought he had of making the team at the outset of camp. ‘I was just excited to be able to go to big league camp and then all this came about. It’s been a good run. I’m just enjoying it and I’m trying to improve every single day. I can’t stress that enough. Just working. Patience is a key virtue, so we’ll see what happens.’
He later added, ‘I was just trying to just make a good impression. With the new staff coming in, I didn’t even really think about or fathom the possibility of playing in the big leagues. It was just more make a good impression, get my work in and learn from the veteran guys and see what they have to offer.’
Bradley said if he does make the team, his preference isn’t to wear No. 74, the number he was assigned for the duration of spring training. (His preferred number, No. 19, is taken by Koji Uehara.)
‘No,’ he said regarding wanting to keep the temporary uniform identification, ‘because the umpires aren’t going to give so good calls.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies