On the day before cuts, Jackie Bradley takes stock of his situation
|03.27.13 at 5:29 pm ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. ‘ Jackie Bradley is on the verge of something he never some coming two months ago.
With the Red Sox set to make their final round of cuts Thursday, the outfielder spoke after the Sox’ 5-1 loss to the Marlins about the possibility of being added to the 25-man roster for Opening Day.
‘I feel good,’ said Bradley after going 1-for-4, notching a first-inning single. ‘I don’t really know the chances. I don’t really worry about it. I sleep well at night.’
When asked if the Red Sox had discussed their plans with him, Bradley said, ‘No. They’re pretty good at keeping secrets.’
Bradley’s batting average currently sits at .431, having gone 10-for-22 in his last nine games.
The team would have to find a spot for him on the 40-man roster if it was to promote Bradley.
‘It never really crossed my mind,’ he said when asked about what chances he thought he had of making the team at the outset of camp. ‘I was just excited to be able to go to big league camp and then all this came about. It’s been a good run. I’m just enjoying it and I’m trying to improve every single day. I can’t stress that enough. Just working. Patience is a key virtue, so we’ll see what happens.’
He later added, ‘I was just trying to just make a good impression. With the new staff coming in, I didn’t even really think about or fathom the possibility of playing in the big leagues. It was just more make a good impression, get my work in and learn from the veteran guys and see what they have to offer.’
Bradley said if he does make the team, his preference isn’t to wear No. 74, the number he was assigned for the duration of spring training. (His preferred number, No. 19, is taken by Koji Uehara.)
‘No,’ he said regarding wanting to keep the temporary uniform identification, ‘because the umpires aren’t going to give so good calls.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- SoxProspects Staff Announcement: Promotions and new hires!
- Hanley Ramirez: A former top prospect returns
- Ryan Lavarnway designated for assignment as Sandoval signs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez shines in Puerto Rico
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Xander Bogaerts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Mookie Betts
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday