Red Sox morning notes: Nearing a decision on Jackie Bradley Jr.
|03.27.13 at 11:50 am ET|
FORT MYERS, Fla. – The Jackie Bradley Jr. watch continues.
While the Red Sox made three more cuts (Ryan Lavarnway, Jose De La Torre, Anthony Carter), none were the 22-year-old outfielder. Bradley was hitting leadoff and playing centerfield for the Red Sox against the Marlins at JetBlue Park Wednesday.
“Still working through it and we’d probably like to have some sense who our 25 guys are going to be by the end of the day tomorrow, so we just want to be fair to all going north that they’ve got a couple days to prepare themselves,” Red Sox manager John Farrell said. “We’ll see how that goes.”
The Red Sox are still awaiting the to see how both Jacoby Ellsbury (ankle) and Shane Victorino (right wrist) progress from their injuries before making any definitive decisions regarding the 25-man roster. Both outfielders, however, are expected to be in the lineup Thursday night against the Twins.
“Precautionary than anything. Just going to give him another day to heal from the jammed ankle, the rolled ankle, he went through the other day,” Farrell said of Ellsbury, who did undergo an MRI after his mishap in Sarasota. “We fully expect him to be back in the lineup tomorrow, as we would with Shane.
Ryan Sweeney’s fate will have to be determined at some point Thursday, which is the day the outfielder has to decide if he will be opting out of his minor-league deal if he doesn’t make the Red Sox major league roster.
“A couple of weeks ago I was kind of worried about it. I was like, ‘Man, what’s going to happen?’ I was kind of getting stressed by it. But the last week or two I was just decided to go out and play and whatever happens is going to happen,” Sweeney said. “I’m not going to put stress on myself trying to figure it out. Hopefully, first and foremost, it’s here in Boston. But if it’s not I’ll just have to figure out where I’m going to go from there.”
Also competing for one of the spots is Mike Carp, who started in left field Wednesday. Unlike Sweeney, Carp is on the 40-man roster.
“You still see very good bat speed. We’ve got some feel for him,” said Farrell. “We also recognize too here’s a guy who’s changed camps, at the outset of spring training he didn’t have any of the first seven to 10 days before games began. We’re getting a better sense of that.”
Farrell said one of the reasons Carp was playing left field was in order to continue to get a look at Daniel Nava in right.
Stephen Drew is still battling some concussion symptoms, but continues to make enough progress that he can participate in some baseball activities. The shortstop reported that he had one of his best days Sunday, but the issue remains a “roller-coaster.”
“Let’s get through these next four days first, then we’ll probably have a little more clear-cut plan at that point,” Farrell said regarding Drew.
Drew will join David Ortiz in heading north with the team when they break camp and go to New York. Ortiz also continues to take steps forward, hitting once again in the batting cage while having already participated in some straight-ahead running.
Relievers Craig Breslow (shoulder) and Franklin Morales (back) are expected to remain in Fort Myers.
- Gary DiSarcina named Baseball America Minor League Manager of the Year
- Red Sox non-tender Ryan Kalish, Andrew Bailey
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Jesus Loya solid at the plate in Mexico
- Help Wanted: Staff Editor, Scouts
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #48: The Slow Season
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Attention shifts to Caribbean, Jerez shining in Venezuela
- Luis Ortega traded to Brewers for reliever Burke Badenhop
- Red Sox re-sign infielder Brandon Snyder
- Cecchini, Ranaudo, Brentz added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox 40-man roster additions expected