Red Sox release Ryan Sweeney, Mitch Maier accepts minor league assignment
|03.30.13 at 11:53 pm ET|
The Red Sox announced on Saturday night that they’ve released outfielder Ryan Sweeney, who exercised the opt-out clause in his minor league deal on Friday. Sweeney, who signed with the Sox after Ryan Kalish underwent surgery late in the offseason, hit .217 with a .308 OBP and .239 slugging mark in 21 Grapefruit League games this spring. However, with the emergence of Jackie Bradley Jr. this spring, Sweeney found himself without a big league roster spot for the regular season. Rather than accept a minor league assignment to Pawtucket, the 28-year-old exercised the opt out clause in his contract, and the Sox elected not to create a roster spot for him, instead giving the outfielder his release.
The team will maintain some semblance of big league-ready outfield depth with the decision by Mitch Maier to accept a minor league assignment. Like Sweeney, Maier signed a minor league contract with a March 28 opt-out date this offseason, but the 30-year-old veteran of 359 big league games suffered a wrist injury that prevented him from playing at the end of the spring. Prior to the injury, the former Royals first rounder was playing well, hitting .346 with a .433 OBP, albeit with a .385 slugging mark. Just as is the case for Sweeney, Maier hits left-handed and can play all three outfield positions.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Trade analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo
- Red Sox deal Anthony Ranaudo to Rangers for Robbie Ross Jr.
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Perth heads to the playoffs
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings
- Red Sox acquire Danny Rosenbaum from Nationals for Dan Butler