Red Sox release Ryan Sweeney, Mitch Maier accepts minor league assignment
|03.30.13 at 11:53 pm ET|
The Red Sox announced on Saturday night that they’ve released outfielder Ryan Sweeney, who exercised the opt-out clause in his minor league deal on Friday. Sweeney, who signed with the Sox after Ryan Kalish underwent surgery late in the offseason, hit .217 with a .308 OBP and .239 slugging mark in 21 Grapefruit League games this spring. However, with the emergence of Jackie Bradley Jr. this spring, Sweeney found himself without a big league roster spot for the regular season. Rather than accept a minor league assignment to Pawtucket, the 28-year-old exercised the opt out clause in his contract, and the Sox elected not to create a roster spot for him, instead giving the outfielder his release.
The team will maintain some semblance of big league-ready outfield depth with the decision by Mitch Maier to accept a minor league assignment. Like Sweeney, Maier signed a minor league contract with a March 28 opt-out date this offseason, but the 30-year-old veteran of 359 big league games suffered a wrist injury that prevented him from playing at the end of the spring. Prior to the injury, the former Royals first rounder was playing well, hitting .346 with a .433 OBP, albeit with a .385 slugging mark. Just as is the case for Sweeney, Maier hits left-handed and can play all three outfield positions.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Chris Marrero, Sean O'Sullivan selected to Int'l League All-Star Game
- Scouting Scratch: Josh Pennington, Darwinzon Hernandez and Gerson Bautista
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi celebrates Futures Game selection with four-hit night
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot