David Ortiz: Achilles ‘is more stable than what it used to be’
|04.01.13 at 12:38 pm ET|
NEW YORK ‘ David Ortiz tested his injured heels/Achilles once again prior to the Red Sox‘ Opening Day meeting with the Yankees Monday, and remains hopeful that he could see game action upon returning to Fort Myers Thursday.
‘Feeling good, very good,’ he said. ‘I’m at the point right now that it’s more stable than what it used to be. That’s good. Seems like we’re moving forward.’
Ortiz, who is on the 15-day disabled list (retroactive to March 22), has yet to run the bases since being shut down due to heel inflammation in spring training. He has, however, started to increase the level of agility drills/sprinting.
‘Hopefully running in general is pretty much the same thing [as running the bases],’ he said. ‘I would say when I’m running straight or making turns, it’s pretty much like running the bases. Hopefully running is pretty much the same.’
Monday also marked the first time in Ortiz’ major league career that he was not active for Opening Day.
‘Little weird, but it is what it is,’ he said. ‘Opening Day’s the one time that you want to be good to go, and be ready for the season, definitely. It’s just a weird feeling.’
Serving at the Red Sox’ designated hitter against Yankee starter CC Sabathia is Jonny Gomes.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Is Patriots' Day? Your Introduction to Boston's Greatest Holiday
- Stock Up, Stock Down for Boston Red Sox's Top 5 Prospects for Week 1
- Jackie Bradley Jr. to Be Placed on 10-Day DL with Knee Injury
- David Price's 1st Bullpen Session Since Elbow Injury Captured on Video
- Chris Sale Produces Dominant Debut Red Sox Needed to See
- 5 Bold Predictions for the Boston Red Sox's 2017 Season
- Boston Red Sox: Complete 2017 Season Preview, Predictions
- The Write-Up: Jalen Beeks
- Cup of Coffee: Olt leads Sea Dogs to walkoff win
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks tosses complete-game shutout
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Victor Garcia
- Cup of Coffee: Ockimey homers twice, Salem sweeps twin bill
- The Write-Up: Teddy Stankiewicz
- System Restart '17: Catcher
- Cup of Coffee: Mother nature delays Chavis; Moncada stomps PawSox
- Minor Notes: Chavis turns heads in three-homer game
- System Restart '17: Outfield