David Ortiz: Achilles ‘is more stable than what it used to be’
|04.01.13 at 12:38 pm ET|
NEW YORK ‘ David Ortiz tested his injured heels/Achilles once again prior to the Red Sox‘ Opening Day meeting with the Yankees Monday, and remains hopeful that he could see game action upon returning to Fort Myers Thursday.
‘Feeling good, very good,’ he said. ‘I’m at the point right now that it’s more stable than what it used to be. That’s good. Seems like we’re moving forward.’
Ortiz, who is on the 15-day disabled list (retroactive to March 22), has yet to run the bases since being shut down due to heel inflammation in spring training. He has, however, started to increase the level of agility drills/sprinting.
‘Hopefully running in general is pretty much the same thing [as running the bases],’ he said. ‘I would say when I’m running straight or making turns, it’s pretty much like running the bases. Hopefully running is pretty much the same.’
Monday also marked the first time in Ortiz’ major league career that he was not active for Opening Day.
‘Little weird, but it is what it is,’ he said. ‘Opening Day’s the one time that you want to be good to go, and be ready for the season, definitely. It’s just a weird feeling.’
Serving at the Red Sox’ designated hitter against Yankee starter CC Sabathia is Jonny Gomes.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated
- Scouting Scratch: Jason Groome