David Ortiz: Achilles ‘is more stable than what it used to be’
|04.01.13 at 12:38 pm ET|
NEW YORK ‘ David Ortiz tested his injured heels/Achilles once again prior to the Red Sox‘ Opening Day meeting with the Yankees Monday, and remains hopeful that he could see game action upon returning to Fort Myers Thursday.
‘Feeling good, very good,’ he said. ‘I’m at the point right now that it’s more stable than what it used to be. That’s good. Seems like we’re moving forward.’
Ortiz, who is on the 15-day disabled list (retroactive to March 22), has yet to run the bases since being shut down due to heel inflammation in spring training. He has, however, started to increase the level of agility drills/sprinting.
‘Hopefully running in general is pretty much the same thing [as running the bases],’ he said. ‘I would say when I’m running straight or making turns, it’s pretty much like running the bases. Hopefully running is pretty much the same.’
Monday also marked the first time in Ortiz’ major league career that he was not active for Opening Day.
‘Little weird, but it is what it is,’ he said. ‘Opening Day’s the one time that you want to be good to go, and be ready for the season, definitely. It’s just a weird feeling.’
Serving at the Red Sox’ designated hitter against Yankee starter CC Sabathia is Jonny Gomes.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Christian Vazquez
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Jackie Bradley, Jr.