David Ortiz: Achilles ‘is more stable than what it used to be’
|04.01.13 at 12:38 pm ET|
NEW YORK ‘ David Ortiz tested his injured heels/Achilles once again prior to the Red Sox‘ Opening Day meeting with the Yankees Monday, and remains hopeful that he could see game action upon returning to Fort Myers Thursday.
‘Feeling good, very good,’ he said. ‘I’m at the point right now that it’s more stable than what it used to be. That’s good. Seems like we’re moving forward.’
Ortiz, who is on the 15-day disabled list (retroactive to March 22), has yet to run the bases since being shut down due to heel inflammation in spring training. He has, however, started to increase the level of agility drills/sprinting.
‘Hopefully running in general is pretty much the same thing [as running the bases],’ he said. ‘I would say when I’m running straight or making turns, it’s pretty much like running the bases. Hopefully running is pretty much the same.’
Monday also marked the first time in Ortiz’ major league career that he was not active for Opening Day.
‘Little weird, but it is what it is,’ he said. ‘Opening Day’s the one time that you want to be good to go, and be ready for the season, definitely. It’s just a weird feeling.’
Serving at the Red Sox’ designated hitter against Yankee starter CC Sabathia is Jonny Gomes.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory