David Ortiz: Achilles ‘is more stable than what it used to be’
|04.01.13 at 12:38 pm ET|
NEW YORK ‘ David Ortiz tested his injured heels/Achilles once again prior to the Red Sox‘ Opening Day meeting with the Yankees Monday, and remains hopeful that he could see game action upon returning to Fort Myers Thursday.
‘Feeling good, very good,’ he said. ‘I’m at the point right now that it’s more stable than what it used to be. That’s good. Seems like we’re moving forward.’
Ortiz, who is on the 15-day disabled list (retroactive to March 22), has yet to run the bases since being shut down due to heel inflammation in spring training. He has, however, started to increase the level of agility drills/sprinting.
‘Hopefully running in general is pretty much the same thing [as running the bases],’ he said. ‘I would say when I’m running straight or making turns, it’s pretty much like running the bases. Hopefully running is pretty much the same.’
Monday also marked the first time in Ortiz’ major league career that he was not active for Opening Day.
‘Little weird, but it is what it is,’ he said. ‘Opening Day’s the one time that you want to be good to go, and be ready for the season, definitely. It’s just a weird feeling.’
Serving at the Red Sox’ designated hitter against Yankee starter CC Sabathia is Jonny Gomes.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Boston Red Sox: Ranking the Top 10 Prospects Ahead of Spring Training
- Red Sox Spring Training 2017 Preview: Predictions, Players to Watch and...
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016