Jackie Bradley Jr. on D&C: Major league debut ‘exciting all around’
|04.02.13 at 9:35 am ET|
Bradley said he enjoyed his major league debut more than he anticipated when he was younger.
“It was better. Definitely better,” he said. “Just because you don’t really know, when you’re that young. I guess I didn’t expect to be able to start with the big league team right away. It was just exciting all around. It was amazing.”
Bradley said he was not nervous in his first at-bat, as he overcame an 0-2 hole against veteran left-handers CC Sabathia to draw a walk. Bradley said it was difficult to lay off the last four pitches.
“As a rookie you want to swing the bat, show what you can do,” he said. “But I also wanted to stick with my approach, work him a little bit. Because I knew he was going to try to strike me out.”
Bradley wore No. 44, after wearing 74 in spring training. His preferred number is 19 (now being worn by pitcher Koji Uehara), but he said he did not request it.
“I was happy with accepting whatever number they did give me,” Bradley said. “I think they wanted to keep the 19 in the pitchers’ locker room. ‘¦ I always liked 19, just because it’s my birthday. I can’t get 42, so I’ve always got to go with the second best.”
Among those who reached out to Bradley to send congratulations were singer Darius Rucker and some current and former players.
“I talked with David Price. He was sending his congrats,” Bradley said, adding: “I talked with J.D. Drew as well. He was also sending his congratulations. It’s good to hear back from people that you’ve met.”
Following Monday’s game, Bradley spent some time with his family, which made the trip to New York for the game.
“We all went out to Times Square and just hung out,” he said. “My family’s never been to Times Square, so I wanted to show them what the big city, bright lights has to offer. We all went out to Applebee’s and just enjoyed ourselves, and came back and hung out.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins