Jackie Bradley Jr. on D&C: Major league debut ‘exciting all around’
|04.02.13 at 9:35 am ET|
Bradley said he enjoyed his major league debut more than he anticipated when he was younger.
“It was better. Definitely better,” he said. “Just because you don’t really know, when you’re that young. I guess I didn’t expect to be able to start with the big league team right away. It was just exciting all around. It was amazing.”
Bradley said he was not nervous in his first at-bat, as he overcame an 0-2 hole against veteran left-handers CC Sabathia to draw a walk. Bradley said it was difficult to lay off the last four pitches.
“As a rookie you want to swing the bat, show what you can do,” he said. “But I also wanted to stick with my approach, work him a little bit. Because I knew he was going to try to strike me out.”
Bradley wore No. 44, after wearing 74 in spring training. His preferred number is 19 (now being worn by pitcher Koji Uehara), but he said he did not request it.
“I was happy with accepting whatever number they did give me,” Bradley said. “I think they wanted to keep the 19 in the pitchers’ locker room. ‘¦ I always liked 19, just because it’s my birthday. I can’t get 42, so I’ve always got to go with the second best.”
Among those who reached out to Bradley to send congratulations were singer Darius Rucker and some current and former players.
“I talked with David Price. He was sending his congrats,” Bradley said, adding: “I talked with J.D. Drew as well. He was also sending his congratulations. It’s good to hear back from people that you’ve met.”
Following Monday’s game, Bradley spent some time with his family, which made the trip to New York for the game.
“We all went out to Times Square and just hung out,” he said. “My family’s never been to Times Square, so I wanted to show them what the big city, bright lights has to offer. We all went out to Applebee’s and just enjoyed ourselves, and came back and hung out.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Is Patriots' Day? Your Introduction to Boston's Greatest Holiday
- Stock Up, Stock Down for Boston Red Sox's Top 5 Prospects for Week 1
- Jackie Bradley Jr. to Be Placed on 10-Day DL with Knee Injury
- David Price's 1st Bullpen Session Since Elbow Injury Captured on Video
- Chris Sale Produces Dominant Debut Red Sox Needed to See
- 5 Bold Predictions for the Boston Red Sox's 2017 Season
- Boston Red Sox: Complete 2017 Season Preview, Predictions
- System Restart '17: Mid-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd, Rei highlight quiet night in system
- System Restart '17: Upper-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Shawaryn strikes out nine as Drive cruise
- Minor Notes: Workman dominant in PawSox bullpen
- The Write-Up: Jalen Beeks
- Cup of Coffee: Olt leads Sea Dogs to walkoff win
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks tosses complete-game shutout
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Victor Garcia
- Cup of Coffee: Ockimey homers twice, Salem sweeps twin bill