John Farrell on WEEI: Hopeful to get David Ortiz back ‘middle of the month’
|04.03.13 at 3:16 pm ET|
Speaking during his weekly appearance on the Salk & Holley show, Red Sox manager John Farrell identified when the team might hope to get David Ortiz back in its lineup, while also commenting on what may happen to Jackie Bradley Jr. upon the designated hitter’s return.
First, Farrell touched on Ortiz’ return, which the Red Sox are hoping might come within a few weeks.
‘When he’s ready. I know that’s a general statement, a general response, but we’re hopeful sometime in the middle of the month is a realistic time frame for him,’ Farrell said Wednesday afternoon. ‘He’ll return down to Florida tomorrow to begin that progression of at-bats. Hopefully he’s in a game down in Florida by Monday. So everything is moving in the right direction and certainly his presence in our lineup speaks for himself. He’s on the mend and headed in the right direction.’
As for what the roster could look like upon Ortiz’ return ‘ specifically in regards to Bradley ‘ Farrell preferred to take a wait-and-see approach.
If all the players on the current 25-man roster are healthy when the DH comes back, there wouldn’t seem to be a place for Bradley to find everyday at-bats due to the presence of Jonny Gomes and Shane Victorino.
‘The best answer to that is, let’s get David back first and then we’ll work through those other things,’ Farrell said. ‘In the meantime, I know it’s one game, but on a stage of Yankee Stadium he handled himself great. No difference from what we saw in spring training. His status? He’s here for now and we’ll see where it goes once David gets back.’
Farrell did note that the decision to keep Bradley on the team coming out of spring training became in increasingly easy decision as the days in Fort Myers wound down.
‘I don’t know if there was one defining moment,’ the manager said of when he realized Bradley would be a major leaguer come April 1. ‘Certainly the injury situation has played a heavy role in this. Early on in camp when that question was posed, it was like, ‘You know what, there’s no reason to put a ceiling on a young player.’ And the situation that he came in, it’s like asking someone to come to a dinner party and then asking them, ‘Hey, when are you leaving?’ I think as we got to the midway points in games, and then Stephen’s situation with the concussion, and David not getting over the hump, so to speak, it became pretty clear that not only does Jackie improve our outfield defense, but the quality of the at-bats he was putting up every day, it became pretty clear. In those last three or four days in spring training, we gave him clear direction, ‘Hey, you’re going to New York.’ ‘
Regarding Dustin Pedroia‘s hand, which seemingly was injured when the second baseman dove into first base during the ninth inning Monday, Farrell said the ailment wouldn’t sideline Pedroia.
‘Right now, he’s a go,’ the manager said. ‘He went through a full exam. The doctors have cleared him. It’s going to be to tolerance. That’s the status he is today and we’ll get some early swings in early BP here today just to see how he’s doing with a bat in his hands. As of right now he’s in the lineup.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller