Stephen Drew returns to games, could start minor league assignment this week
|04.03.13 at 9:47 am ET|
NEW YORK — According to team sources, Stephen Drew — after receiving medical clearance to return to games — played an extended spring training game in Fort Myers on Tuesday. In his first game action since incurring a concussion on March 7, when he was hit on the helmet by a pitch, Drew went 1-for-3 with a double while playing three innings at shortstop. He will play another extended spring training game on Wednesday.
Because post-exertion fatigue is a standard symptom in the aftermath of concussions, the Sox anticipate that Drew will require some time to rebuild his stamina. Still, the team expects that Drew — who now is eligible to come off the seven-day disabled list — is likely to join a minor league affiliate for a few games as soon as this week, suggesting that he may not be far from being activated, perhaps a soon as next week.
News of Drew’s return to games was first reported by The Boston Globe.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven