Stephen Drew returns to games, could start minor league assignment this week
|04.03.13 at 9:47 am ET|
NEW YORK — According to team sources, Stephen Drew — after receiving medical clearance to return to games — played an extended spring training game in Fort Myers on Tuesday. In his first game action since incurring a concussion on March 7, when he was hit on the helmet by a pitch, Drew went 1-for-3 with a double while playing three innings at shortstop. He will play another extended spring training game on Wednesday.
Because post-exertion fatigue is a standard symptom in the aftermath of concussions, the Sox anticipate that Drew will require some time to rebuild his stamina. Still, the team expects that Drew — who now is eligible to come off the seven-day disabled list — is likely to join a minor league affiliate for a few games as soon as this week, suggesting that he may not be far from being activated, perhaps a soon as next week.
News of Drew’s return to games was first reported by The Boston Globe.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Shaw Becoming Star After Being Thrown in Spotlight by Sandoval Benching
- Ortiz, Red Sox Look Headed for 1 More Exciting Run
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- Cup of Coffee: Rijo breaks out, rain washes Salem and Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Kyri Washington rips pair of doubles in Greenville loss
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas, Swihart lead Pawtucket on a light night
- Michael Chavis placed on disabled list with torn thumb ligament (UPDATE: report rescinded)
- Weekly Notes: Light, Cuevas get first-time call-up