Stephen Drew returns to games, could start minor league assignment this week
|04.03.13 at 9:47 am ET|
NEW YORK — According to team sources, Stephen Drew — after receiving medical clearance to return to games — played an extended spring training game in Fort Myers on Tuesday. In his first game action since incurring a concussion on March 7, when he was hit on the helmet by a pitch, Drew went 1-for-3 with a double while playing three innings at shortstop. He will play another extended spring training game on Wednesday.
Because post-exertion fatigue is a standard symptom in the aftermath of concussions, the Sox anticipate that Drew will require some time to rebuild his stamina. Still, the team expects that Drew — who now is eligible to come off the seven-day disabled list — is likely to join a minor league affiliate for a few games as soon as this week, suggesting that he may not be far from being activated, perhaps a soon as next week.
News of Drew’s return to games was first reported by The Boston Globe.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Top 40 in Review: Heath Hembree and Steven Wright
- Top 40 Season in Review: Javier Guerra and Henry Ramos
- Help Wanted: Writers
- Top 40 in Review: Simon Mercedes and Carlos Asuaje
- Top 40 Season in Review: Anderson Espinoza and Alex Hassan
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rivero, Castillo make early impressions
- Top 40 Season in Review: Noe Ramirez and Luis Diaz
- Top 40 Season in Review: Bryce Brentz and Christopher Acosta
- Top 40 Season in Review: Justin Haley and Jake Cosart
- Top 40 Season in Review: Drake Britton and Dalier Hinojosa