Stephen Drew returns to games, could start minor league assignment this week
|04.03.13 at 9:47 am ET|
NEW YORK — According to team sources, Stephen Drew — after receiving medical clearance to return to games — played an extended spring training game in Fort Myers on Tuesday. In his first game action since incurring a concussion on March 7, when he was hit on the helmet by a pitch, Drew went 1-for-3 with a double while playing three innings at shortstop. He will play another extended spring training game on Wednesday.
Because post-exertion fatigue is a standard symptom in the aftermath of concussions, the Sox anticipate that Drew will require some time to rebuild his stamina. Still, the team expects that Drew — who now is eligible to come off the seven-day disabled list — is likely to join a minor league affiliate for a few games as soon as this week, suggesting that he may not be far from being activated, perhaps a soon as next week.
News of Drew’s return to games was first reported by The Boston Globe.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- David Price Allowed 5 ER in 3.1 IP and Is Now 0-8 in Career Postseason...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller