Jose Iglesias leaves with right arm contusion after being hit by pitch
|04.05.13 at 8:28 pm ET|
TORONTO — Jose Iglesias left the Red Sox‘ game against the Blue Jays Friday night in the fourth inning after being struck by a 93 mph fastball from Josh Johnson in the second. The team classified the injury as a right arm contusion.
The pitch that struck Iglesias was the first of the shortstop’s at-bat. It also loaded the bases, moving Jackie Bradley to second and Shane Victorino to third, helping pave the way for the Red Sox’ first run.
After being hit by the pitch, Red Sox manager John Farrell and trainer Rick Jameyson checked on Iglesias before allowing the rookie to remain in the game. Iglesias would make a stellar defensive play in the third inning, ranging deep into the hole between shortstop and third base to gather in Melky Cabrera, ultimately firing it to second baseman Dustin Pedroia for a force out.
Iglesias was replaced by Pedro Ciriaco, who pinch-hit for the starter with two runners on and one out. Ciriaco came through with an RBI single to left field, scoring Victorino. The Ciriaco base-hit gave the Red Sox a 2-1 lead.
Iglesias came into Friday night with seven hits, the most of any shortstop in the majors. He was also the first Red Sox rookie to begin a season with three straight multiple-hit games since rookie status began being identified in 1958.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Is Patriots' Day? Your Introduction to Boston's Greatest Holiday
- Stock Up, Stock Down for Boston Red Sox's Top 5 Prospects for Week 1
- Jackie Bradley Jr. to Be Placed on 10-Day DL with Knee Injury
- David Price's 1st Bullpen Session Since Elbow Injury Captured on Video
- Chris Sale Produces Dominant Debut Red Sox Needed to See
- 5 Bold Predictions for the Boston Red Sox's 2017 Season
- Boston Red Sox: Complete 2017 Season Preview, Predictions
- System Restart '17: Upper-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Shawaryn strikes out nine as Drive cruise
- Minor Notes: Workman dominant in PawSox bullpen
- The Write-Up: Jalen Beeks
- Cup of Coffee: Olt leads Sea Dogs to walkoff win
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks tosses complete-game shutout
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Victor Garcia
- Cup of Coffee: Ockimey homers twice, Salem sweeps twin bill
- The Write-Up: Teddy Stankiewicz
- System Restart '17: Catcher