Jose Iglesias leaves with right arm contusion after being hit by pitch
|04.05.13 at 8:28 pm ET|
TORONTO — Jose Iglesias left the Red Sox‘ game against the Blue Jays Friday night in the fourth inning after being struck by a 93 mph fastball from Josh Johnson in the second. The team classified the injury as a right arm contusion.
The pitch that struck Iglesias was the first of the shortstop’s at-bat. It also loaded the bases, moving Jackie Bradley to second and Shane Victorino to third, helping pave the way for the Red Sox’ first run.
After being hit by the pitch, Red Sox manager John Farrell and trainer Rick Jameyson checked on Iglesias before allowing the rookie to remain in the game. Iglesias would make a stellar defensive play in the third inning, ranging deep into the hole between shortstop and third base to gather in Melky Cabrera, ultimately firing it to second baseman Dustin Pedroia for a force out.
Iglesias was replaced by Pedro Ciriaco, who pinch-hit for the starter with two runners on and one out. Ciriaco came through with an RBI single to left field, scoring Victorino. The Ciriaco base-hit gave the Red Sox a 2-1 lead.
Iglesias came into Friday night with seven hits, the most of any shortstop in the majors. He was also the first Red Sox rookie to begin a season with three straight multiple-hit games since rookie status began being identified in 1958.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Scouting Scratch: Yoan Moncada
- Owens reassigned to minors in latest roster cuts; Boggs released
- The Write-Up: More reports from Fort Myers
- Karsten Whitson close to his old self in Red Sox system
- 2015 Spring Training Reports
- With injury behind him, Longhi honing selective approach this spring
- Podcast Ep. 71: Spring Training Reports!
- Scouting Scratch: Trey Ball
- Fort Report: SoxProspects crew arrives in Fort Myers
- The Write-Up: More from the Fort