Jose Iglesias leaves with right arm contusion after being hit by pitch
|04.05.13 at 8:28 pm ET|
TORONTO — Jose Iglesias left the Red Sox‘ game against the Blue Jays Friday night in the fourth inning after being struck by a 93 mph fastball from Josh Johnson in the second. The team classified the injury as a right arm contusion.
The pitch that struck Iglesias was the first of the shortstop’s at-bat. It also loaded the bases, moving Jackie Bradley to second and Shane Victorino to third, helping pave the way for the Red Sox’ first run.
After being hit by the pitch, Red Sox manager John Farrell and trainer Rick Jameyson checked on Iglesias before allowing the rookie to remain in the game. Iglesias would make a stellar defensive play in the third inning, ranging deep into the hole between shortstop and third base to gather in Melky Cabrera, ultimately firing it to second baseman Dustin Pedroia for a force out.
Iglesias was replaced by Pedro Ciriaco, who pinch-hit for the starter with two runners on and one out. Ciriaco came through with an RBI single to left field, scoring Victorino. The Ciriaco base-hit gave the Red Sox a 2-1 lead.
Iglesias came into Friday night with seven hits, the most of any shortstop in the majors. He was also the first Red Sox rookie to begin a season with three straight multiple-hit games since rookie status began being identified in 1958.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington
- Cup of Coffee: Kent dominates, Devers scores game-winner
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada homers twice, Kopech strikes out nine
- Podcast Ep. #102: Groome signs, Dave deals, podcast delivered
- Weekly Notes: Groome signs, Espinoza traded, Marrero is All-Star MVP
- Cup of Coffee: Salem walks off, Hill rakes in Lowell loss
- Cup of Coffee: Basabe reaches base four times for Greenville