Jose Iglesias leaves with right arm contusion after being hit by pitch
|04.05.13 at 8:28 pm ET|
TORONTO — Jose Iglesias left the Red Sox‘ game against the Blue Jays Friday night in the fourth inning after being struck by a 93 mph fastball from Josh Johnson in the second. The team classified the injury as a right arm contusion.
The pitch that struck Iglesias was the first of the shortstop’s at-bat. It also loaded the bases, moving Jackie Bradley to second and Shane Victorino to third, helping pave the way for the Red Sox’ first run.
After being hit by the pitch, Red Sox manager John Farrell and trainer Rick Jameyson checked on Iglesias before allowing the rookie to remain in the game. Iglesias would make a stellar defensive play in the third inning, ranging deep into the hole between shortstop and third base to gather in Melky Cabrera, ultimately firing it to second baseman Dustin Pedroia for a force out.
Iglesias was replaced by Pedro Ciriaco, who pinch-hit for the starter with two runners on and one out. Ciriaco came through with an RBI single to left field, scoring Victorino. The Ciriaco base-hit gave the Red Sox a 2-1 lead.
Iglesias came into Friday night with seven hits, the most of any shortstop in the majors. He was also the first Red Sox rookie to begin a season with three straight multiple-hit games since rookie status began being identified in 1958.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- David Ortiz Discusses Retirement from Baseball, Time with Red Sox
- Jackie Bradley Jr. Is Now a Red Sox Star
- Big Papi Cementing His Legend with a Bang
- Ortiz Passes Banks, Mathews for 22nd Place on MLB's HR List
- Red Sox's High-Octane Offense Fueling Rise Back to Prominence
- Red Sox Score Double-Digit Runs for 4th Consecutive Game
- Red Sox 1st Team Since 1999 to Score 13+ Runs in 3 Straight
- Cup of Coffee: Rodriguez fires seven strong innings in rehab start
- Cup of Coffee: Raudes strikes out eight over six scoreless frames
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez to start tomorrow for Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shines again for Salem
- The Write-Up: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Cup of Coffee: Kemp homers twice, Light hits 101
- Cup of Coffee: Moore comes through in the clutch for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada wins it in extras
- Cup of Coffee: Elias's career night powers Pawtucket
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi drives in two to boost Couch, Sea Dogs