Red Sox minor-leaguer Mike Flacco, brother of Joe, decides to retire
|04.05.13 at 6:00 pm ET|
Mike Flacco, brother of Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco, has decided to retire rather than accept an assignment to the Red Sox‘ Single-A affiliate in Salem (Va.). Flacco had been traded by the Orioles to the Red Sox in spring training for cash considerations.
Flacco, a 6-foot-6 first baseman, spent the majority of the 2012 season in the Carolina League (which Salem plays in) with Frederick, hitting.218 with a .628 OPS and eight home runs in 385 plate appearances.
The 26-year-old was drafted by Baltimore in the 31st round of the 2009 draft.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Podcast Ep. 84: Mailbag extravaganza!
- Cup of Coffee: Drive step closer to playoffs behind Drehoff, Moncada
- Cup of Coffee: Season comes to an end for DSL Red Sox
- Cup of Coffee: DSL Sox drop playoff opener; Espinoza dominates
- Weekly Notes: Greenville lineup turning heads
- Cup of Coffee: McGrath lights-out, Sea Dogs' bats back Wilkerson
- Cup of Coffee: Perez helps GCL Red Sox clinch division
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi remains hot, Hernandez impressive for DSL Sox
- Podcast Ep. 83: Interview Special with Michael Chavis and Nick Longhi
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada steals 40th, GCL Sox on brink of division