Red Sox minor-leaguer Mike Flacco, brother of Joe, decides to retire
|04.05.13 at 6:00 pm ET|
Mike Flacco, brother of Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco, has decided to retire rather than accept an assignment to the Red Sox‘ Single-A affiliate in Salem (Va.). Flacco had been traded by the Orioles to the Red Sox in spring training for cash considerations.
Flacco, a 6-foot-6 first baseman, spent the majority of the 2012 season in the Carolina League (which Salem plays in) with Frederick, hitting.218 with a .628 OPS and eight home runs in 385 plate appearances.
The 26-year-old was drafted by Baltimore in the 31st round of the 2009 draft.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Help Wanted: Database Coordinator
- January Notes: Red Sox extend contract with Greenville
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Champions crowned as play concludes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Championship series underway
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Blake Swihart
- Help Wanted: Writers, Editors
- Red Sox bring back Dan Butler on minor league deal
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Eduardo Rodriguez
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramos and Castillo combine for 16 hits
- 2015 Graduates in Review: Henry Owens