Red Sox minor-leaguer Mike Flacco, brother of Joe, decides to retire
|04.05.13 at 6:00 pm ET|
Mike Flacco, brother of Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco, has decided to retire rather than accept an assignment to the Red Sox‘ Single-A affiliate in Salem (Va.). Flacco had been traded by the Orioles to the Red Sox in spring training for cash considerations.
Flacco, a 6-foot-6 first baseman, spent the majority of the 2012 season in the Carolina League (which Salem plays in) with Frederick, hitting.218 with a .628 OPS and eight home runs in 385 plate appearances.
The 26-year-old was drafted by Baltimore in the 31st round of the 2009 draft.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- November Notes: Prospect rankings and new CBA
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez belts walk-off home run
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Devers, Hernandez stand out in Dominican winter league
- Podcast Ep. #109: Alex Speier on Ranking the System
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez debuts, Tavarez, Mars stay hot
- Podcast Ep. #108: 2016 Rankings Special
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Kopech continues to dominate
- October Notes: Fall ball and front office changes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada sidelined by thumb sprain
- Help Wanted: Web Editors & Social Media Specialists