Red Sox minor-leaguer Mike Flacco, brother of Joe, decides to retire
|04.05.13 at 6:00 pm ET|
Mike Flacco, brother of Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco, has decided to retire rather than accept an assignment to the Red Sox‘ Single-A affiliate in Salem (Va.). Flacco had been traded by the Orioles to the Red Sox in spring training for cash considerations.
Flacco, a 6-foot-6 first baseman, spent the majority of the 2012 season in the Carolina League (which Salem plays in) with Frederick, hitting.218 with a .628 OPS and eight home runs in 385 plate appearances.
The 26-year-old was drafted by Baltimore in the 31st round of the 2009 draft.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Owens struggles, pushing PawSox to the brink
- Cup of Coffee: Pawtucket drops game two in extras
- Cup of Coffee: Pawtucket takes game one of Governor's Cup
- Rusney Castillo flashes exciting potential in Triple-A debut
- Barnes promoted to Boston
- The Write-Up: Matt Barnes
- Weekly Notes: Playoff baseball begins for affiliates, Castillo continues ascent
- Cup of Coffee: Portland's season comes to an end
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #63: Just Sayin' Hi
- Cup of Coffee: Portland falls, forces Game Five