John Lackey injury makes bad day worse for Red Sox
|04.06.13 at 3:44 pm ET|
TORONTO ‘ While Saturday proved to be by far the most lackluster performance by the Red Sox during this young season, their 5-0 loss to the Blue Jays before a Rogers Centre crowd of 45,797 seemed secondary.
The Red Sox may have lost one of their starting pitchers for a significant period, with John Lackey injuring his right arm on a 2-2 pitch to Jose Reyes in the fifth inning. After delivering the low-and-inside slider, Lackey walked around the mound with his right arm dangling.
The righty, who was making his first appearance since undergoing Tommy John surgery on Nov. 1, 2011, could be seen grabbing at his biceps before being ushered off the field by Red Sox’ trainer Rick Jameyson.
Lackey could actually be seen expressing discomfort in regards to his right arm during the previous two pitches leading up to the final offering. (For more on the injury, click here.)
Before his injury, Lackey had turned in a solid outing, giving up just two runs, coming on a two-run, fourth-inning homer by J.P. Arencibia. The hurler finished allowing five hits while striking out eight and walking one.
Lackey was replaced by Alfredo Aceves. The reliever ran into trouble in the sixth inning when he surrendered a three-run homer to Colby Rasmus. Aceves finished things off for the Sox, pitching the final 3 2/3 innings.
Toronto starter J.A. Happ, who hadn’t pitched since Sept. 3, 2012 after breaking the navicular bone in his right foot, baffled the Red Sox for much of the day. The lefty gave up just one hit (a leadoff, first-inning single to Jacoby Ellsbury) over 5 1/3 innings, striking out six and walking three. Dustin Pedroia would manage the only other hit of the day for the Red Sox.
The closest the Red Sox would come to scoring in the third inning when Pedro Ciriaco was gunned down at home, trying to score on a grounder to first base by Ellsbury.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Eduardo Rodriguez debuts in Venezuela