John Lackey injury makes bad day worse for Red Sox
|04.06.13 at 3:44 pm ET|
TORONTO ‘ While Saturday proved to be by far the most lackluster performance by the Red Sox during this young season, their 5-0 loss to the Blue Jays before a Rogers Centre crowd of 45,797 seemed secondary.
The Red Sox may have lost one of their starting pitchers for a significant period, with John Lackey injuring his right arm on a 2-2 pitch to Jose Reyes in the fifth inning. After delivering the low-and-inside slider, Lackey walked around the mound with his right arm dangling.
The righty, who was making his first appearance since undergoing Tommy John surgery on Nov. 1, 2011, could be seen grabbing at his biceps before being ushered off the field by Red Sox’ trainer Rick Jameyson.
Lackey could actually be seen expressing discomfort in regards to his right arm during the previous two pitches leading up to the final offering. (For more on the injury, click here.)
Before his injury, Lackey had turned in a solid outing, giving up just two runs, coming on a two-run, fourth-inning homer by J.P. Arencibia. The hurler finished allowing five hits while striking out eight and walking one.
Lackey was replaced by Alfredo Aceves. The reliever ran into trouble in the sixth inning when he surrendered a three-run homer to Colby Rasmus. Aceves finished things off for the Sox, pitching the final 3 2/3 innings.
Toronto starter J.A. Happ, who hadn’t pitched since Sept. 3, 2012 after breaking the navicular bone in his right foot, baffled the Red Sox for much of the day. The lefty gave up just one hit (a leadoff, first-inning single to Jacoby Ellsbury) over 5 1/3 innings, striking out six and walking three. Dustin Pedroia would manage the only other hit of the day for the Red Sox.
The closest the Red Sox would come to scoring in the third inning when Pedro Ciriaco was gunned down at home, trying to score on a grounder to first base by Ellsbury.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles