Jose Iglesias checks out OK, but still out of Red Sox lineup
|04.06.13 at 1:30 pm ET|
TORONTO ‘ The plan was for Jose Iglesias to take Saturday off. That route became a lot easier to execute thanks to one pitch Friday night.
After being hit by a 93 mph Josh Johnson fastball in the series-opener between the Red Sox and Blue Jays, Iglesias was forced to leave the game in the fourth inning. Saturday morning, the shortstop showed up at the park ready to go, but that wasn’t going to alter the Red Sox’ plan.
‘Actually, he checked out OK this morning,’ Red Sox manager John Farrell said of Iglesias, who was struck in the right elbow. ‘He went out and threw well and felt OK. We had today as a scheduled down day for him. He’s available today if the need does arise. It was encouraging that he came back in and pleaded his case to try to get in today’s lineup.’
Iglesias has reached base in each of the Red Sox’ first four games, having become the first Sox rookie to notch multiple-hit performances in his season’s firs three contests.
The shortstop was replaced in the lineup by Pedro Ciriaco, who came on to claim a pair of hits Friday night.
Iglesias stay with the Red Sox also might be extended an extra day with Stephen Drew‘s rehab game with Portland being postponed Saturday due to coldness. It was originally believed Drew would be replacing Iglesias as the starting shortstop as early as Monday.
‘If the team needs me, I’ll be there,’ Iglesias said. ‘You want to be there, you want to be part of another win. All I can do is get treatment and be ready.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Is Patriots' Day? Your Introduction to Boston's Greatest Holiday
- Stock Up, Stock Down for Boston Red Sox's Top 5 Prospects for Week 1
- Jackie Bradley Jr. to Be Placed on 10-Day DL with Knee Injury
- David Price's 1st Bullpen Session Since Elbow Injury Captured on Video
- Chris Sale Produces Dominant Debut Red Sox Needed to See
- 5 Bold Predictions for the Boston Red Sox's 2017 Season
- Boston Red Sox: Complete 2017 Season Preview, Predictions
- System Restart '17: Upper-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Shawaryn strikes out nine as Drive cruise
- Minor Notes: Workman dominant in PawSox bullpen
- The Write-Up: Jalen Beeks
- Cup of Coffee: Olt leads Sea Dogs to walkoff win
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks tosses complete-game shutout
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Victor Garcia
- Cup of Coffee: Ockimey homers twice, Salem sweeps twin bill
- The Write-Up: Teddy Stankiewicz
- System Restart '17: Catcher