Jose Iglesias checks out OK, but still out of Red Sox lineup
|04.06.13 at 1:30 pm ET|
TORONTO ‘ The plan was for Jose Iglesias to take Saturday off. That route became a lot easier to execute thanks to one pitch Friday night.
After being hit by a 93 mph Josh Johnson fastball in the series-opener between the Red Sox and Blue Jays, Iglesias was forced to leave the game in the fourth inning. Saturday morning, the shortstop showed up at the park ready to go, but that wasn’t going to alter the Red Sox’ plan.
‘Actually, he checked out OK this morning,’ Red Sox manager John Farrell said of Iglesias, who was struck in the right elbow. ‘He went out and threw well and felt OK. We had today as a scheduled down day for him. He’s available today if the need does arise. It was encouraging that he came back in and pleaded his case to try to get in today’s lineup.’
Iglesias has reached base in each of the Red Sox’ first four games, having become the first Sox rookie to notch multiple-hit performances in his season’s firs three contests.
The shortstop was replaced in the lineup by Pedro Ciriaco, who came on to claim a pair of hits Friday night.
Iglesias stay with the Red Sox also might be extended an extra day with Stephen Drew‘s rehab game with Portland being postponed Saturday due to coldness. It was originally believed Drew would be replacing Iglesias as the starting shortstop as early as Monday.
‘If the team needs me, I’ll be there,’ Iglesias said. ‘You want to be there, you want to be part of another win. All I can do is get treatment and be ready.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rick Porcello Is Worthy of Cy Young, but How Did Justin Verlander Lose?
- MLB Megastar Mookie Betts Is Rare Master of All Trades
- Edwin Encarnacion Is Ideal Red Sox Replacement for David Ortiz
- Clay Buchholz's Contract Option Picked Up by Red Sox: Latest Details,...
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez belts walk-off home run
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Devers, Hernandez stand out in Dominican winter league
- Podcast Ep. #109: Alex Speier on Ranking the System
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez debuts, Tavarez, Mars stay hot
- Podcast Ep. #108: 2016 Rankings Special
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Kopech continues to dominate
- October Notes: Fall ball and front office changes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada sidelined by thumb sprain
- Help Wanted: Web Editors & Social Media Specialists
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid