Saturday’s Red Sox-Blue Jays matchups: John Lackey vs. J.A. Happ
|04.06.13 at 8:08 am ET|
Nearly every player who takes the field for the Red Sox in the early weeks of this season will have something to prove after a down 2012. But that burden may be heaviest on John Lackey, who missed the 2012 season after having Tommy John surgery and will make his first start since Sept. 25, 2011, on Saturday afternoon in Toronto.
This will be Lackey’s next chance to begin fulfilling the high expectations the Red Sox had of him when they signed him in the 2009 offseason. A sore elbow plagued him through 2010 and 2011, years in which his ERA was 4.40 and 6.41.
Lackey didn’t see much game action in spring training, throwing 11 2/3 innings. In that minuscule body of work, he posted a 5.40 ERA and a 1.29 WHIP. He last saw the Blue Jays on Sept. 14, 2011, when he pitched 5 1/3 innings, gave up two earned runs on seven hits, walked one and struck out four.
The Blue Jays will send J.A. Happ, who’s beginning his first full season in Toronto, to the mound opposing Lackey.
Happ finished last year with a 4.79 ERA. He pitched slightly better after being traded to Toronto from Houston, putting up a 4.69 ERA and a 1.29 WHIP for the Jays after recording a 4.83 ERA and a 1.45 WHIP for the Astros.
Since he’s only spent half a season in the AL East, the Sox don’t have much firsthand experience with Happ. Jonny Gomes, who was in the NL Central with the Reds while Happ was an Astro, has faced him 11 times and never gotten a hit.
Happ’s only outing against the Sox as a Jay was also his first appearance for Toronto, on July 21, 2012, in Boston. He pitched two-thirds of an inning in relief of Carlos Villanueva, throwing just five pitches and getting groundouts from Ryan Sweeney and Pedro Ciriaco.
Several current Jays have hit Lackey well. Melky Cabrera has a .345/.367/.448 line with three doubles, and Adam Lind has six doubles and 6 RBIs in 26 PAs against Lackey.
Red Sox vs. Happ (LHP)
Jonny Gomes (11 plate appearances): .000 BA/.273 OBP/.000 SLG, 1 RBI, 3 walks, 2 strikeouts
Jacoby Ellsbury (8): .333/.375/.500, 1 RBI, 1 double, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Dustin Pedroia (3): 1.000/1.000/1.333, 1 double, 1 RBI
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (3): .000/.333/.000, 1 walk
Shane Victorino (3): .500/.667/.500, 1 walk
Blue Jays vs. Lackey (RHP)
Melky Cabrera (30): .345/.367/.448, 1 RBI, 3 doubles, 1 walk, 5 strikeouts
Jose Bautista (28): .238/.429/.524, 2 HR, 3 RBI, 7 walks, 5 strikeouts
Rajai Davis (26): .385/.385/.538, 3 RBI, 2 doubles, 1 triple, 8 strikeouts
Adam Lind (26): .538/.538/.769, 6 RBI, 6 doubles, 2 strikeouts
Edwin Encarnacion (19): .294/.368/.471, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Maicer Izturis (10): .111/.200/.222, 1 double, 1 walk
Mark DeRosa (9): .500/.556/1.000, 1 HR, 9 RBI, 1 double, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
J.P. Arencibia (7): .000/.143/.000, 1 walk
Henry Blanco (6): .167/.167/.167, 2 RBI, 1 strikeout
Jose Reyes (4): .250/.250/.250, 1 strikeout
Emilio Bonifacio and Colby Rasmus have never faced Lackey.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Chris Sale Says Cutting White Sox Jerseys with Knife Was Mistake
- Boston Red Sox: Non-Roster Invitees with Best Shot to Make 25-Man Roster
- Red Sox Broadcaster Jerry Remy Diagnosed with Lung Cancer Relapse
- What Chris Sale Can Learn from David Price's Letdown Red Sox Debut Season
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Key Questions That Need Answering in Spring Training
- Boston Red Sox: 4 Last-Minute Moves They Should Consider
- David Ortiz's No. 34 to Be Retired by Red Sox: Details and Reaction
- Fort Report: Rankings, returns, & reporting to camp
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo and Puerto Rico capture Caribbean Series title
- Former top 20 prospect Acosta returns to camp with Red Sox in DR
- January Notes: Devers invited to camp; Benintendi gets press
- Fall/Winter Roundup: Castillo leads Caguas to PR championship
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven