Why Koji Uehara has been inspired by Chris Davis’ historic start
|04.06.13 at 1:57 pm ET|
Red Sox reliever Koji Uehara said Saturday morning that Davis has added some motivation for these early-season games. Why? Uehara evidently feels somewhat of a sense of responsibility to live up to the lofty standards set by Davis because the two were traded for one another July 30, 2011.
‘The season he’s having so far has been an inspiration for me,’ Uehara said through a translator.
Uehara explained that he had never heard of Davis prior to being traded for the first baseman (and Tommy Hunter), but the ‘new experience’ of being dealt for the first time in his professional career led to his attention to Davis’ exploits.
The Red Sox reliever said, however, that his awareness regarding Davis’ start ‘ which includes a record 16 RBI over the first four games ‘ is truly driven by wanting to follow the team he played his first three major league seasons with, the Orioles. Davis is 2-for-4 against Uehara, although the reliever did strike out the slugger in their last meeting, the one-game playoff at the conclusion of last season.
Thus far, Uehara is doing a fairly good job of keeping pace with Davis. The righty has needed just 14 pitches to cruise through the only six batters he has faced.
‘The number of pitches he’s thrown has been about as minimal as you can get,’ said Farrell of Uehara. ‘The urge, or the tendency, is going to be to call his name all the time. He loves to compete. You see the energy he comes off the field with after completing an inning. Fortunately we’ve got the depth that we do. And the quality that we do. We’ll have the ability to spread some things out and Koji will be a guy who will factor all those things.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo
- Red Sox deal Anthony Ranaudo to Rangers for Robbie Ross Jr.
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Perth heads to the playoffs
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings
- Red Sox acquire Danny Rosenbaum from Nationals for Dan Butler