David Ortiz, Stephen Drew both closer to returning
|04.07.13 at 1:28 pm ET|
After a positive day Saturday, in which Ortiz (Achilles) ran the bases while executing hitting drills, the designated hitter was slated to start participating in extended spring training games Monday.
If all goes as planned, Ortiz will join the PawSox in Pawtucket later in the week after playing in three games in Fort Myers.
‘Very good day yesterday,’ Red Sox manager John Farrell said. ‘Ran the bases, took swings in the cage, tracked [Franklin] Morales‘ sim game, had an additional six rounds of BP on the field so a full work day yesterday and that puts him in line for live at-bats tomorrow in an extended spring training game on Monday.’
Farrell added, ‘As we’ve approached David’s situation, we’ll take the next step as he’s ready for it, with the last one being when he returns to us. He’s not going to be in our lineup until he’s ready. He’s had a lot of input in this along the way. That’s been our guide.’
With the Portland Sea Dogs’ postponement Saturday, Drew will play in two more games with the Sea Dogs before joining the Red Sox for their Wednesday game against the Orioles at Fenway Park.
‘He felt an additional eight to 10 at-bats would be helpful,’ Farrell said. ‘He’s starting to feel much more comfortable but he felt like two additional games, to go nine innings each day, would put him in a better position to return to us.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo