David Ortiz, Stephen Drew both closer to returning
|04.07.13 at 1:28 pm ET|
After a positive day Saturday, in which Ortiz (Achilles) ran the bases while executing hitting drills, the designated hitter was slated to start participating in extended spring training games Monday.
If all goes as planned, Ortiz will join the PawSox in Pawtucket later in the week after playing in three games in Fort Myers.
‘Very good day yesterday,’ Red Sox manager John Farrell said. ‘Ran the bases, took swings in the cage, tracked [Franklin] Morales‘ sim game, had an additional six rounds of BP on the field so a full work day yesterday and that puts him in line for live at-bats tomorrow in an extended spring training game on Monday.’
Farrell added, ‘As we’ve approached David’s situation, we’ll take the next step as he’s ready for it, with the last one being when he returns to us. He’s not going to be in our lineup until he’s ready. He’s had a lot of input in this along the way. That’s been our guide.’
With the Portland Sea Dogs’ postponement Saturday, Drew will play in two more games with the Sea Dogs before joining the Red Sox for their Wednesday game against the Orioles at Fenway Park.
‘He felt an additional eight to 10 at-bats would be helpful,’ Farrell said. ‘He’s starting to feel much more comfortable but he felt like two additional games, to go nine innings each day, would put him in a better position to return to us.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Weekly Notes: Big league season comes to an end
- The Write-Up: Logan Allen, Travis Lakins, William Cuevas and Yankory Pimentel
- Weekly Notes: Season end awards & front office changes
- SoxProspects.com 2015 season-end award winners
- Travis, Moncada highlight Red Sox minor league awards
- Podcast Ep. 86: Season in Review, Pt. 1
- Weekly Notes: Moncada to play winter ball in Puerto Rico
- 2015 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Weekly Notes: Front office moves, Fall Instructs rosters announced
- Podcast Ep. 85: Final Notes from the Field, Sept. Rankings, Wendell Rijo