Red Sox minor league roundup: Henry Owens efficient, dominant; Sean Coyle off to a quick start
|04.07.13 at 8:16 am ET|
A look at the action in the Red Sox‘ minor league system on Saturday.
Programming Note: “Down on the Farm” will air on Sunday morning from 8:30-9 a.m. This week will feature a pair of potential Red Sox breakout prospect candidates. Listen on WEEI or WEEI.com.
TRIPLE-A PAWTUCKET RED SOX: 7-2 WIN AT SCRANTON/WILKES-BARRE (YANKEES)
— Left fielder Jeremy Hazelbaker continued his strong start to the season, launching a two-out grand slam in the top of the ninth inning to put the game away. He went 1-for-4 with a walk, and now has extra-base hits in each of his first three games of the year, including a pair of homers (both against right-handers).
— Left-hander Chris Hernandez had a bend-don’t-break outing, working through a constant stream of baserunners (four hits — all singles — and four walks) to limit his opponents to two runs (one earned) in four innings of work. He threw strikes on just 40 of his 81 offerings.
DOUBLE-A PORTLAND SEA DOGS: RAINED OUT VS. TRENTON (YANKEES)
HIGH-A SALEM RED SOX: 3-2 LOSS AT FREDERICK (ORIOLES)
— Left-hander Henry Owens, in his first start of 2013, tossed five shutout innings, permitting just two hits (both singles) while striking out four and walking two. He threw strikes with 45 of his 70 pitches (64 percent). Perhaps most notably, he recorded seven outs via groundball and averaged just 14 pitches per inning. Owens was largely a flyball pitcher in his first professional season with Greenville. If he can use his 6-foot-7 frame to leverage fastballs down in the zone or get consistently weak (groundball) contact on his changeup, then given his ability to get swings and misses in volume, it would elevate his already considerable prospect stock.
— Third baseman Garin Cecchini, who at one point last year had 24 straight successful stolen base attempts and finished the year with 51 steals in 57 attempts, was gunned down at second on his first steal attempt of 2013. He was 0-for-3 with a walk.
— Second baseman Sean Coyle led off the game with a solo homer to left, part of a 2-for-3 game in which he also filled up the box score with a walk and a stolen base. He’s now reached base in five of eight plate appearances in the first two games of the year and he has yet to strike out.
— Outfielder Keury De La Cruz went 0-for-4 with a pair of strikeouts and made his second error (this one of the throwing variety) in as many games in right field.
SINGLE-A GREENVILLE DRIVE: 6-2 LOSS, 8-4 WIN)
— Right-hander Pat Light, a supplemental first-round pick in the 2012 draft, allowed two runs on four hits (three of the groundball variety) and a walk while striking out three and getting three outs via groundball (two on a double play) in two innings of work.
— Right-hander Madison Younginer, who is moving into a role as a multi-innings reliever after having been a starter throughout his career to this point, tossed four shutout innings in which he punched out seven in four innings. He allowed three walks and three hits. The seven punchouts were tied for the second most career, and represented the most strikeouts he’s recorded in a game with Greenville (with whom he also spent the 2012 season).
— After an 0-for-4 with four strikeouts in the first game, outfielder Aneury Tavarez went 2-for-3 with a walk, a pair of doubles and a career-high four runs batted in in the second game.
— The Drive struck out 17 times in the first game against starter Rafael De Paula (11 strikeouts in 4 1/3 innings) and two relievers.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins