Sunday’s Red Sox-Blue Jays matchups: Jon Lester vs. R.A. Dickey
|04.07.13 at 8:04 am ET|
In Lester’s first start of 2013, the Sox beat the Yankees, 8-2, on Monday. Lester gave up two runs on five hits, striking out seven and walking two over five innings. He allowed both runs during a 34-pitch fourth inning and was pulled after throwing 96 pitches (63 strikes) through the fifth.
Manager John Farrell was encouraged by Lester’s outing, which he called “a good starting point.” Lester relied mostly on his fastball and cutter on Monday and will look to get his changeup and curveball working earlier against the Jays.
Dickey struggled to control his knuckleball in his Opening Day start against the Indians, a game the Jays lost, 4-1. He walked four and gave up all four runs over six innings, although one run was unearned as it came after a passed ball by his catcher, J.P. Arencibia.
The 2012 NL Cy Young winner also struck out four, and though his lack of control hurt him, the only time the Indians really hit him hard was a home run by Asdrubal Cabrera in the fifth.
Dickey has made nine career starts against the Sox with a 4.09 ERA, although he hasn’t faced them since 2009. In Lester’s 22 starts against Toronto, hitters have a .235/.290/.520 line against him.
Lester has done well against most of the Jays’ current hitters. Jose Bautista‘s OBP against him is just .288, although Bautista also has hit four homers off of Lester in 52 PAs. Melky Cabrera has had the most success against the lefty, with a .375/.400/.417 line.
Shane Victorino has faced Dickey 20 times, more than twice as many as any other Boston player, and has a .263/.300/.526 line with a home run and two doubles. Pedro Ciriaco hit a triple off of Dickey in his only appearance against him.
Red Sox vs. Dickey (RHP)
Shane Victorino (20 plate appearances): .263 BA/.300 OBP/.526 SLG, 1 home run, 3 RBI, 2 doubles, 1 walk, 5 strikeouts
Jacoby Ellsbury (6): .167/.167/.167, 1 single
Mike Napoli (6): .400/.500/.600, 1 RBI, 1 double, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Dustin Pedroia (6): .200/.333/.200, 1 walk
David Ross (5): .200/.200/.200, 1 strikeout
Pedro Ciriaco (1): 1.000/1.000/3.000, 1 triple
Blue Jays vs. Lester (LHP)
Jose Bautista (52): .222/.288/.533, 4 HR, 7 RBI, 2 doubles, 5 walks, 11 strikeouts
J.P. Arencibia (28): .192/.250.423, 2 HR, 5 RBI, 2 walks, 12 strikeouts
Adam Lind (28): .111/.143/.148, 1 double, 1 walk, 10 strikeouts
Melky Cabrera (25): .375/.400/.417, 2 RBI, 1 double, 1 walk, 6 strikeouts
Edwin Encarnacion (25): .190/.320/.429, 1 HR, 4 RBI, 2 doubles, 4 walks, 5 strikeouts
Rajai Davis (23): .238/.304/.619, 1 HR, 5 RBI, 2 triples, 1 double, 2 walks, 8 strikeouts
Maicer Izturis (16): .333/.375/.533, 2 RBI, 3 doubles, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Colby Rasmus (9): .222/.222/.222, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Mark DeRosa (6): .333/.333/1.000, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 1 double
Jose Reyes and Emilio Bonifacio have no hits in three and two PAs against Lester, respectively. Lester has never faced Henry Blanco.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins