Sunday’s Red Sox-Blue Jays matchups: Jon Lester vs. R.A. Dickey
|04.07.13 at 8:04 am ET|
In Lester’s first start of 2013, the Sox beat the Yankees, 8-2, on Monday. Lester gave up two runs on five hits, striking out seven and walking two over five innings. He allowed both runs during a 34-pitch fourth inning and was pulled after throwing 96 pitches (63 strikes) through the fifth.
Manager John Farrell was encouraged by Lester’s outing, which he called “a good starting point.” Lester relied mostly on his fastball and cutter on Monday and will look to get his changeup and curveball working earlier against the Jays.
Dickey struggled to control his knuckleball in his Opening Day start against the Indians, a game the Jays lost, 4-1. He walked four and gave up all four runs over six innings, although one run was unearned as it came after a passed ball by his catcher, J.P. Arencibia.
The 2012 NL Cy Young winner also struck out four, and though his lack of control hurt him, the only time the Indians really hit him hard was a home run by Asdrubal Cabrera in the fifth.
Dickey has made nine career starts against the Sox with a 4.09 ERA, although he hasn’t faced them since 2009. In Lester’s 22 starts against Toronto, hitters have a .235/.290/.520 line against him.
Lester has done well against most of the Jays’ current hitters. Jose Bautista‘s OBP against him is just .288, although Bautista also has hit four homers off of Lester in 52 PAs. Melky Cabrera has had the most success against the lefty, with a .375/.400/.417 line.
Shane Victorino has faced Dickey 20 times, more than twice as many as any other Boston player, and has a .263/.300/.526 line with a home run and two doubles. Pedro Ciriaco hit a triple off of Dickey in his only appearance against him.
Red Sox vs. Dickey (RHP)
Shane Victorino (20 plate appearances): .263 BA/.300 OBP/.526 SLG, 1 home run, 3 RBI, 2 doubles, 1 walk, 5 strikeouts
Jacoby Ellsbury (6): .167/.167/.167, 1 single
Mike Napoli (6): .400/.500/.600, 1 RBI, 1 double, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Dustin Pedroia (6): .200/.333/.200, 1 walk
David Ross (5): .200/.200/.200, 1 strikeout
Pedro Ciriaco (1): 1.000/1.000/3.000, 1 triple
Blue Jays vs. Lester (LHP)
Jose Bautista (52): .222/.288/.533, 4 HR, 7 RBI, 2 doubles, 5 walks, 11 strikeouts
J.P. Arencibia (28): .192/.250.423, 2 HR, 5 RBI, 2 walks, 12 strikeouts
Adam Lind (28): .111/.143/.148, 1 double, 1 walk, 10 strikeouts
Melky Cabrera (25): .375/.400/.417, 2 RBI, 1 double, 1 walk, 6 strikeouts
Edwin Encarnacion (25): .190/.320/.429, 1 HR, 4 RBI, 2 doubles, 4 walks, 5 strikeouts
Rajai Davis (23): .238/.304/.619, 1 HR, 5 RBI, 2 triples, 1 double, 2 walks, 8 strikeouts
Maicer Izturis (16): .333/.375/.533, 2 RBI, 3 doubles, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Colby Rasmus (9): .222/.222/.222, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Mark DeRosa (6): .333/.333/1.000, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 1 double
Jose Reyes and Emilio Bonifacio have no hits in three and two PAs against Lester, respectively. Lester has never faced Henry Blanco.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies