Monday’s Red Sox-Orioles matchups: Clay Buchholz vs. Wei-Yin Chen
|04.08.13 at 8:28 am ET|
Buchholz looked strong in his first start of the year, going seven innings with four strikeouts, two walks, six hits and one run allowed. The Sox beat the Yankees 7-4 on the strength of his performance, in which he threw 62 of his 94 pitches for strikes.
In 14 starts, Buchholz has a 3.64 ERA and a 1.32 WHIP against the Orioles. He last saw them on Aug. 16, 2012, when he was hit hard at times — giving up doubles to Manny Machado, Nate McLouth and Adam Jones as well as a homer to Mark Reynolds — but also struck out seven over eight innings to earn a 6-3 Sox win.
In his first start this year, Chen got a no-decision as the Orioles lost to the Rays, 8-7. He allowed seven hits and two runs and struck out four over 5 2/3 innings, but the Baltimore bullpen gave up six runs after he left the game.
The 28-year-old from Taiwan became a regular part of the Orioles rotation last year, throwing 192 2/3 innings with a 4.02 ERA. He picked up a win in his last start against the Sox, on Aug. 14, 2012, when he gave up one run on nine hits over six innings and Baltimore won, 7-1.
In Chen’s short history against the Sox, he’s had trouble with Dustin Pedroia, who has a triple, a double and a .444 OBP against him in his nine PAs.
Buchholz generally has handled this set of Orioles well, although he’s given up a few homers to Baltimore’s power hitters, including one to Chris Davis, who’s opened the season on a tear. Davis has four homers, three doubles and 17 RBIs with a .455 average through six games.
Orioles vs. Buchholz (RHP)
Nick Markakis (38 plate appearances): .129 BA/.289 OBP/.129 SLG, 2 RBI, 6 walks, 4 strikeouts
Adam Jones (28): .238/.296/.524, 1 home run, 8 RBI, 3 doubles, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Matt Wieters (28): .240/.321/.320, 1 RBI, 2 doubles, 3 walks, 4 strikeouts
Chris Davis (15): .214/.267/.500, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 2 doubles, 3 walks, 4 strikeouts
J.J. Hardy (14): .462/.500/.923, 2 HR, 3 RBI, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Alexi Casilla (6): .600/.667/.600 1 RBI, 1 walk
Ryan Flaherty (6): .400/.500/.400, 1 strikeout
Taylor Teagarden (5): .000/.000/.000, 1 RBI, 3 strikeouts
Nate McLouth (4): .250/.250/.500, 1 double, 1 strikeout
Manny Machado (3): .500/.667/1.000, 1 double, 1 walk
Nolan Reimold has no hits in three PAs against Buchholz. Yamaico Navarro and Steve Pearce have never faced Buchholz.
Red Sox vs. Chen (LHP)
Dustin Pedroia (9): .375/.444/.750, 1 RBI, 1 triple, 1 double, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Jonny Gomes (6): .250/.500/1.000, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Will Middlebrooks (6): .500/.500/.667, 1 double, 1 strikeout
Jacoby Ellsbury (4): .500/.500/.500, 2 singles
Pedro Ciriaco (3): .500/.500/1.000, 1 double
David Ross (3): .333/.333/.333, 1 strikeout
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (3): .333/.333/.333, 1 single
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #67: Reserved at the Reserve List Deadline
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Jackie Bradley, Jr.
- Red Sox name Mike Rikard Director of Amateur Scouting