Red Sox lineup: Jackie Bradley Jr. sits, Jose Iglesias starts in home opener
|04.08.13 at 9:53 am ET|
With left-hander Wei-Yin Chen on the hill for the Orioles, Jackie Bradley Jr. is out of the Red Sox lineup for the first time this year. It will be switch-hitter Daniel Nava who gets the start in the home opener in left field.
With a bruised elbow and the arrival of Stephen Drew looming, Jose Iglesias is slated to start at shortstop for the Red Sox in their home opener against the Orioles on Monday afternoon. Iglesias was drilled by a Josh Johnson pitch in Friday’s game against the Blue Jays. He left that game early and missed Saturday’s game before returning to the lineup for Sunday’s finale in Toronto.
Meanwhile, Drew — out since being hit in the head by a pitch a month ago at spring training — is on a rehab assignment with Double-A Portland and is expected to debut in Boston on Wednesday, despite the fact that Iglesias leads the Sox with a .529 batting average and .556 on-base percentage (in addition to his stellar defense).
Here is the complete Sox lineup that will go up against Chen. For a statistical breakdown of the batters vs. Monday’s starting pitchers, click here.
Clay Buchholz, SP
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Chatham comes up clutch, Downs lifts Lowell
- Scouting Scratch: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero, pitching help PawSox clip Red Wings
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts