Red Sox lineup: Jackie Bradley Jr. sits, Jose Iglesias starts in home opener
|04.08.13 at 9:53 am ET|
With left-hander Wei-Yin Chen on the hill for the Orioles, Jackie Bradley Jr. is out of the Red Sox lineup for the first time this year. It will be switch-hitter Daniel Nava who gets the start in the home opener in left field.
With a bruised elbow and the arrival of Stephen Drew looming, Jose Iglesias is slated to start at shortstop for the Red Sox in their home opener against the Orioles on Monday afternoon. Iglesias was drilled by a Josh Johnson pitch in Friday’s game against the Blue Jays. He left that game early and missed Saturday’s game before returning to the lineup for Sunday’s finale in Toronto.
Meanwhile, Drew — out since being hit in the head by a pitch a month ago at spring training — is on a rehab assignment with Double-A Portland and is expected to debut in Boston on Wednesday, despite the fact that Iglesias leads the Sox with a .529 batting average and .556 on-base percentage (in addition to his stellar defense).
Here is the complete Sox lineup that will go up against Chen. For a statistical breakdown of the batters vs. Monday’s starting pitchers, click here.
Clay Buchholz, SP
Latest from Bleacher Report
- November Notes: Prospect rankings and new CBA
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez belts walk-off home run
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Devers, Hernandez stand out in Dominican winter league
- Podcast Ep. #109: Alex Speier on Ranking the System
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez debuts, Tavarez, Mars stay hot
- Podcast Ep. #108: 2016 Rankings Special
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Kopech continues to dominate
- October Notes: Fall ball and front office changes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada sidelined by thumb sprain
- Help Wanted: Web Editors & Social Media Specialists