Red Sox lineup: Jackie Bradley Jr. sits, Jose Iglesias starts in home opener
|04.08.13 at 9:53 am ET|
With left-hander Wei-Yin Chen on the hill for the Orioles, Jackie Bradley Jr. is out of the Red Sox lineup for the first time this year. It will be switch-hitter Daniel Nava who gets the start in the home opener in left field.
With a bruised elbow and the arrival of Stephen Drew looming, Jose Iglesias is slated to start at shortstop for the Red Sox in their home opener against the Orioles on Monday afternoon. Iglesias was drilled by a Josh Johnson pitch in Friday’s game against the Blue Jays. He left that game early and missed Saturday’s game before returning to the lineup for Sunday’s finale in Toronto.
Meanwhile, Drew — out since being hit in the head by a pitch a month ago at spring training — is on a rehab assignment with Double-A Portland and is expected to debut in Boston on Wednesday, despite the fact that Iglesias leads the Sox with a .529 batting average and .556 on-base percentage (in addition to his stellar defense).
Here is the complete Sox lineup that will go up against Chen. For a statistical breakdown of the batters vs. Monday’s starting pitchers, click here.
Clay Buchholz, SP
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- Scouting Scratch: Kevin Steen, Enmanuel De Jesus and more Lowell pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks, Dubon debut at Double-A, Lowell wins again
- Sources: Mauricio Dubon promoted to Portland
- Scouting Scratch: Michael Kopech
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada stays hot in Portland; Lowell improves to 6-0
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada makes Double-A debut; Owens dominates for PawSox
- Cup of Coffee: Holt doubles twice in first rehab appearance
- Weekly Notes: Moncada promoted, Kopech debuts, and Salem claims Southern Division first-half title
- Cup of Coffee: Affiliates sweep, Moncada homers before promotion
- Moncada, Beeks, Taylor promoted to Portland