Red Sox lineup: Jackie Bradley Jr. sits, Jose Iglesias starts in home opener
|04.08.13 at 9:53 am ET|
With left-hander Wei-Yin Chen on the hill for the Orioles, Jackie Bradley Jr. is out of the Red Sox lineup for the first time this year. It will be switch-hitter Daniel Nava who gets the start in the home opener in left field.
With a bruised elbow and the arrival of Stephen Drew looming, Jose Iglesias is slated to start at shortstop for the Red Sox in their home opener against the Orioles on Monday afternoon. Iglesias was drilled by a Josh Johnson pitch in Friday’s game against the Blue Jays. He left that game early and missed Saturday’s game before returning to the lineup for Sunday’s finale in Toronto.
Meanwhile, Drew — out since being hit in the head by a pitch a month ago at spring training — is on a rehab assignment with Double-A Portland and is expected to debut in Boston on Wednesday, despite the fact that Iglesias leads the Sox with a .529 batting average and .556 on-base percentage (in addition to his stellar defense).
Here is the complete Sox lineup that will go up against Chen. For a statistical breakdown of the batters vs. Monday’s starting pitchers, click here.
Clay Buchholz, SP
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Ysla, Victor Diaz and Gerson Bautista
- Weekly Notes: Big league season comes to an end
- The Write-Up: Logan Allen, Travis Lakins, William Cuevas and Yankory Pimentel
- Weekly Notes: Season end awards & front office changes
- SoxProspects.com 2015 season-end award winners
- Travis, Moncada highlight Red Sox minor league awards
- Podcast Ep. 86: Season in Review, Pt. 1
- Weekly Notes: Moncada to play winter ball in Puerto Rico
- 2015 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Weekly Notes: Front office moves, Fall Instructs rosters announced