Red Sox lineup: Jackie Bradley Jr. sits, Jose Iglesias starts in home opener
|04.08.13 at 9:53 am ET|
With left-hander Wei-Yin Chen on the hill for the Orioles, Jackie Bradley Jr. is out of the Red Sox lineup for the first time this year. It will be switch-hitter Daniel Nava who gets the start in the home opener in left field.
With a bruised elbow and the arrival of Stephen Drew looming, Jose Iglesias is slated to start at shortstop for the Red Sox in their home opener against the Orioles on Monday afternoon. Iglesias was drilled by a Josh Johnson pitch in Friday’s game against the Blue Jays. He left that game early and missed Saturday’s game before returning to the lineup for Sunday’s finale in Toronto.
Meanwhile, Drew — out since being hit in the head by a pitch a month ago at spring training — is on a rehab assignment with Double-A Portland and is expected to debut in Boston on Wednesday, despite the fact that Iglesias leads the Sox with a .529 batting average and .556 on-base percentage (in addition to his stellar defense).
Here is the complete Sox lineup that will go up against Chen. For a statistical breakdown of the batters vs. Monday’s starting pitchers, click here.
Clay Buchholz, SP
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Anderson Espinoza to Greenville, Logan Allen to Lowell highlight GCL promotions
- Notes from the Field: Spruill, Marrero, Hernandez in Allentown
- Cup of Coffee: Reign delay for the GCL Red Sox
- Sam Travis highlights six announced for Arizona Fall League
- Moncada's big year nets him multiple South Atlantic League honors
- Cup of Coffee: Perez leads GCL Sox to walk-off win in finals opener
- Weekly Notes: Greenville makes playoff push, GCL Sox reach finals
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, De Jesus pitch Sox into GCL finals
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Greenville to victory
- Cup of Coffee: Callahan helps move Greenville into wild card lead