Red Sox lose first baseman Mauro Gomez on waivers to Blue Jays
|04.08.13 at 2:24 pm ET|
Former Red Sox first baseman Mauro Gomez, who was designated for assignment on March 31 to clear a spot on the 40-man roster for outfielder Jackie Bradley Jr., was claimed off waivers on Monday by the Blue Jays. The 28-year-old represented a nice find for the Red Sox on a minor league deal in 2012, when he not only won International League MVP honors by hitting .310 with a .317 OBP, .589 slugging mark and 24 homers in 100 games, but also performed respectably in 37 big league games, hitting .275 with a .324 OBP, .422 slugging mark and two homers.
However, with the signing of Mike Napoli (like Gomez, a right-handed first base option), the addition of Mike Carp and Daniel Nava‘s emergence as a first base option, the Sox had enough depth of first basemen on their 40-man roster that it became difficult to carry Gomez (who is limited defensively to first base), even though he had two minor league options remaining. Thus, the decision to designate him.
In 22 games in spring training, Gomez hit .156 with a .240 OBP, .200 slugging mark and no homers.
For more Red Sox coverage, visit weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies
- Fort Report: Benintendi to bat third in Boston?