Red Sox lose first baseman Mauro Gomez on waivers to Blue Jays
|04.08.13 at 2:24 pm ET|
Former Red Sox first baseman Mauro Gomez, who was designated for assignment on March 31 to clear a spot on the 40-man roster for outfielder Jackie Bradley Jr., was claimed off waivers on Monday by the Blue Jays. The 28-year-old represented a nice find for the Red Sox on a minor league deal in 2012, when he not only won International League MVP honors by hitting .310 with a .317 OBP, .589 slugging mark and 24 homers in 100 games, but also performed respectably in 37 big league games, hitting .275 with a .324 OBP, .422 slugging mark and two homers.
However, with the signing of Mike Napoli (like Gomez, a right-handed first base option), the addition of Mike Carp and Daniel Nava‘s emergence as a first base option, the Sox had enough depth of first basemen on their 40-man roster that it became difficult to carry Gomez (who is limited defensively to first base), even though he had two minor league options remaining. Thus, the decision to designate him.
In 22 games in spring training, Gomez hit .156 with a .240 OBP, .200 slugging mark and no homers.
For more Red Sox coverage, visit weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Updating the scouting reports - stage two complete
- Fort Report: Moncada Madness
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster