Red Sox lose first baseman Mauro Gomez on waivers to Blue Jays
|04.08.13 at 2:24 pm ET|
Former Red Sox first baseman Mauro Gomez, who was designated for assignment on March 31 to clear a spot on the 40-man roster for outfielder Jackie Bradley Jr., was claimed off waivers on Monday by the Blue Jays. The 28-year-old represented a nice find for the Red Sox on a minor league deal in 2012, when he not only won International League MVP honors by hitting .310 with a .317 OBP, .589 slugging mark and 24 homers in 100 games, but also performed respectably in 37 big league games, hitting .275 with a .324 OBP, .422 slugging mark and two homers.
However, with the signing of Mike Napoli (like Gomez, a right-handed first base option), the addition of Mike Carp and Daniel Nava‘s emergence as a first base option, the Sox had enough depth of first basemen on their 40-man roster that it became difficult to carry Gomez (who is limited defensively to first base), even though he had two minor league options remaining. Thus, the decision to designate him.
In 22 games in spring training, Gomez hit .156 with a .240 OBP, .200 slugging mark and no homers.
For more Red Sox coverage, visit weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Shaw Becoming Star After Being Thrown in Spotlight by Sandoval Benching
- Ortiz, Red Sox Look Headed for 1 More Exciting Run
- Updates on Xander Bogaerts' Wrist and Return
- Latest Updates on Joe Kelly's Injury
- Even Price Can't Stop Red Sox Rotation Giving Bad Feeling of Deja Vu
- Sandoval's Ex-Trainer Says He Has Eating Problem
- Ortiz Closing in on Top 25 in Career Home Runs
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Nick Longhi
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas and Maxwell lead the PawSox
- Podcast Ep. 95: One month in, start it up again
- Weekly Notes: Rodriguez, Smith begin rehab assignments
- Cup of Coffee: Rijo breaks out, rain washes Salem and Greenville
- Cup of Coffee: Haley, Lakins continue strong starts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi continues surge, Smith rehabs
- Cup of Coffee: E-Rod rehabs, Ball debuts, Benintendi big again
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi powers Salem past Frederick
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Michael Chavis