Red Sox lose first baseman Mauro Gomez on waivers to Blue Jays
|04.08.13 at 2:24 pm ET|
Former Red Sox first baseman Mauro Gomez, who was designated for assignment on March 31 to clear a spot on the 40-man roster for outfielder Jackie Bradley Jr., was claimed off waivers on Monday by the Blue Jays. The 28-year-old represented a nice find for the Red Sox on a minor league deal in 2012, when he not only won International League MVP honors by hitting .310 with a .317 OBP, .589 slugging mark and 24 homers in 100 games, but also performed respectably in 37 big league games, hitting .275 with a .324 OBP, .422 slugging mark and two homers.
However, with the signing of Mike Napoli (like Gomez, a right-handed first base option), the addition of Mike Carp and Daniel Nava‘s emergence as a first base option, the Sox had enough depth of first basemen on their 40-man roster that it became difficult to carry Gomez (who is limited defensively to first base), even though he had two minor league options remaining. Thus, the decision to designate him.
In 22 games in spring training, Gomez hit .156 with a .240 OBP, .200 slugging mark and no homers.
For more Red Sox coverage, visit weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, O'Sullivan impress on the mound
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Sam Travis
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash
- Scouting Scratch: Kevin Steen, Enmanuel De Jesus and more Lowell pitchers