Red Sox lose first baseman Mauro Gomez on waivers to Blue Jays
|04.08.13 at 2:24 pm ET|
Former Red Sox first baseman Mauro Gomez, who was designated for assignment on March 31 to clear a spot on the 40-man roster for outfielder Jackie Bradley Jr., was claimed off waivers on Monday by the Blue Jays. The 28-year-old represented a nice find for the Red Sox on a minor league deal in 2012, when he not only won International League MVP honors by hitting .310 with a .317 OBP, .589 slugging mark and 24 homers in 100 games, but also performed respectably in 37 big league games, hitting .275 with a .324 OBP, .422 slugging mark and two homers.
However, with the signing of Mike Napoli (like Gomez, a right-handed first base option), the addition of Mike Carp and Daniel Nava‘s emergence as a first base option, the Sox had enough depth of first basemen on their 40-man roster that it became difficult to carry Gomez (who is limited defensively to first base), even though he had two minor league options remaining. Thus, the decision to designate him.
In 22 games in spring training, Gomez hit .156 with a .240 OBP, .200 slugging mark and no homers.
For more Red Sox coverage, visit weei.com/redsox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Is Patriots' Day? Your Introduction to Boston's Greatest Holiday
- Stock Up, Stock Down for Boston Red Sox's Top 5 Prospects for Week 1
- Jackie Bradley Jr. to Be Placed on 10-Day DL with Knee Injury
- David Price's 1st Bullpen Session Since Elbow Injury Captured on Video
- Chris Sale Produces Dominant Debut Red Sox Needed to See
- 5 Bold Predictions for the Boston Red Sox's 2017 Season
- Boston Red Sox: Complete 2017 Season Preview, Predictions
- System Restart '17: Upper-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Shawaryn strikes out nine as Drive cruise
- Minor Notes: Workman dominant in PawSox bullpen
- The Write-Up: Jalen Beeks
- Cup of Coffee: Olt leads Sea Dogs to walkoff win
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks tosses complete-game shutout
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Victor Garcia
- Cup of Coffee: Ockimey homers twice, Salem sweeps twin bill
- The Write-Up: Teddy Stankiewicz
- System Restart '17: Catcher