Red Sox optimistic that John Lackey’s injury not serious
|04.08.13 at 11:28 am ET|
The Red Sox have expressed optimism that the injury to John Lackey‘s right biceps is not serious, but the right-hander is scheduled to get a second opinion Monday, after which the team will decide on his immediate future.
Lackey left Saturday’s game in Toronto in the fifth inning after grabbing his arm following a pitch. An MRI in Boston on Sunday revealed inflammation in the biceps but nothing more serious. Said manager John Farrell: “There has not been any detection of a tear.”
Farrell said it’s “unlikely” Lackey makes his next scheduled start, but: “We’re not at the point of saying he’s a DL, either.”
Alfredo Aceves a candidate to make a spot start, likely Sunday at Fenway vs. the Rays.
The injury ruined a promising start for Lackey, who missed all of 2012 following Tommy John surgery.
“He looked great on the mound,” Farrell said. “We’ll be cautious with this.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington
- Cup of Coffee: Kent dominates, Devers scores game-winner
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada homers twice, Kopech strikes out nine
- Podcast Ep. #102: Groome signs, Dave deals, podcast delivered
- Weekly Notes: Groome signs, Espinoza traded, Marrero is All-Star MVP
- Cup of Coffee: Salem walks off, Hill rakes in Lowell loss