Red Sox optimistic that John Lackey’s injury not serious
|04.08.13 at 11:28 am ET|
The Red Sox have expressed optimism that the injury to John Lackey‘s right biceps is not serious, but the right-hander is scheduled to get a second opinion Monday, after which the team will decide on his immediate future.
Lackey left Saturday’s game in Toronto in the fifth inning after grabbing his arm following a pitch. An MRI in Boston on Sunday revealed inflammation in the biceps but nothing more serious. Said manager John Farrell: “There has not been any detection of a tear.”
Farrell said it’s “unlikely” Lackey makes his next scheduled start, but: “We’re not at the point of saying he’s a DL, either.”
Alfredo Aceves a candidate to make a spot start, likely Sunday at Fenway vs. the Rays.
The injury ruined a promising start for Lackey, who missed all of 2012 following Tommy John surgery.
“He looked great on the mound,” Farrell said. “We’ll be cautious with this.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins