Terry Francona gets lost on way to new home ballpark
|04.08.13 at 3:23 pm ET|
One of the charms of Terry Francona as a manager is his penchant for self-effacement. If Clevelanders were unfamiliar with the trait before, they discovered it on Monday, when the new Indians skipper discussed his two-block journey from his apartment to his new home park, Progressive Field.
From the Associated Press story:
Francona is living in downtown Cleveland during the season and he plans to ride a small scooter he used during spring training in Arizona for the short commute to the ballpark. However, he decided to hit the streets on foot early in the morning and ended up needing directions to find his new workplace.
“I got lost three times,” he said. “Even when I got to the garage two people who work here said, `Hey, do you know where you’re going?’ I was like, `Nope.'”
Fortunately for Francona, an Indians employee picked him up in a golf cart and got him to the stadium.
Boston’s manager for eight seasons, Francona was overwhelmed by the assistance he received while encountering a few fans on his maiden voyage.
“Cleveland is officially the nicest people I’ve ever met,” he said. “Everybody I did walk by said, `Hello.’ That’s a little different than I’m used to.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Garin Cecchini and Yoan Aybar
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Kevin McAvoy and Bryce Brentz
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis leads way as Scottsdale wins AFL title
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Travis Lakins and Jalen Beeks
- Light, Jerez, and Hernandez added to 40-man roster
- Light, Hernandez top list of potential Friday roster additions
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Christopher Acosta and Ben Taylor
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Austin Glorius and Jordan Procyshen
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis blasts walk-off home run
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Chandler Shepherd and Kyle Martin