Terry Francona gets lost on way to new home ballpark
|04.08.13 at 3:23 pm ET|
One of the charms of Terry Francona as a manager is his penchant for self-effacement. If Clevelanders were unfamiliar with the trait before, they discovered it on Monday, when the new Indians skipper discussed his two-block journey from his apartment to his new home park, Progressive Field.
From the Associated Press story:
Francona is living in downtown Cleveland during the season and he plans to ride a small scooter he used during spring training in Arizona for the short commute to the ballpark. However, he decided to hit the streets on foot early in the morning and ended up needing directions to find his new workplace.
“I got lost three times,” he said. “Even when I got to the garage two people who work here said, `Hey, do you know where you’re going?’ I was like, `Nope.'”
Fortunately for Francona, an Indians employee picked him up in a golf cart and got him to the stadium.
Boston’s manager for eight seasons, Francona was overwhelmed by the assistance he received while encountering a few fans on his maiden voyage.
“Cleveland is officially the nicest people I’ve ever met,” he said. “Everybody I did walk by said, `Hello.’ That’s a little different than I’m used to.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington
- Cup of Coffee: Kent dominates, Devers scores game-winner
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada homers twice, Kopech strikes out nine
- Podcast Ep. #102: Groome signs, Dave deals, podcast delivered
- Weekly Notes: Groome signs, Espinoza traded, Marrero is All-Star MVP
- Cup of Coffee: Salem walks off, Hill rakes in Lowell loss
- Cup of Coffee: Basabe reaches base four times for Greenville