Terry Francona gets lost on way to new home ballpark
|04.08.13 at 3:23 pm ET|
One of the charms of Terry Francona as a manager is his penchant for self-effacement. If Clevelanders were unfamiliar with the trait before, they discovered it on Monday, when the new Indians skipper discussed his two-block journey from his apartment to his new home park, Progressive Field.
From the Associated Press story:
Francona is living in downtown Cleveland during the season and he plans to ride a small scooter he used during spring training in Arizona for the short commute to the ballpark. However, he decided to hit the streets on foot early in the morning and ended up needing directions to find his new workplace.
“I got lost three times,” he said. “Even when I got to the garage two people who work here said, `Hey, do you know where you’re going?’ I was like, `Nope.'”
Fortunately for Francona, an Indians employee picked him up in a golf cart and got him to the stadium.
Boston’s manager for eight seasons, Francona was overwhelmed by the assistance he received while encountering a few fans on his maiden voyage.
“Cleveland is officially the nicest people I’ve ever met,” he said. “Everybody I did walk by said, `Hello.’ That’s a little different than I’m used to.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, O'Sullivan impress on the mound
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Sam Travis
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash
- Scouting Scratch: Kevin Steen, Enmanuel De Jesus and more Lowell pitchers