The education of Jackie Bradley continues
|04.08.13 at 1:06 am ET|
TORONTO ‘ When you come right down to it, there have been few surprises when it comes to Jackie Bradley’s six-game stay in the majors to this point.
He has helped the Red Sox win some games, both offensively and defensively. He has displayed moments that make you marvel at his relative maturity. And there have also been those instances that remind that the almost-23-year-old still has a long path to venture down.
‘It’s just a learning curve,’ he said after going 0-for-4 with a walk in the Red Sox’ 13-0 win over the Blue Jays Sunday afternoon at Rogers Centre, ‘and I’m going to get on that curve soon.’
Bradley is heading into the home opener carrying a .143 batting average (3-for-21) with a .333 on-base percentage. He has struck out seven times, drawing five walks while scoring four runs.
Also, of the 12 balls Bradley has put in play, 11 have been on the ground.
After the shock and awe that he pushed forward at Yankee Stadium, Bradley was presented with the next round of reality during his three games in Canada.
‘They attacked him on the inside part of the plate a little bit. They did a good job,’ said Red Sox manager John Farrell. ‘They mixed up some breaking balls for strikes. They spread the zone away from him. I don’t think he expanded all that much. He saw some fastballs probably in at the belt and above that maybe he hasn’t seen that much. He’s learning.’
Bradley isn’t going to argue with his manager’s assessment.
‘They did come in quite a bit,’ he said. ‘I hit some hard, and others I just missed my pitch. I think that’s a fair assessment..’ He later added, ‘I’m also trying to make adjustments. It’s going to take some time, but I’m going to keep battling.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Tyler Thornburg
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the pitching prospects dealt for Chris Sale
- Trade Analysis: Scouting the hitting prospects dealt for Chris Sale
- Podcast Ep. #110: Dealin' Dave's Winter Sale
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo to play in Puerto Rican League
- November Notes: Prospect rankings and new CBA
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez belts walk-off home run
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Devers, Hernandez stand out in Dominican winter league
- Podcast Ep. #109: Alex Speier on Ranking the System
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Vazquez debuts, Tavarez, Mars stay hot