The education of Jackie Bradley continues
|04.08.13 at 1:06 am ET|
TORONTO ‘ When you come right down to it, there have been few surprises when it comes to Jackie Bradley’s six-game stay in the majors to this point.
He has helped the Red Sox win some games, both offensively and defensively. He has displayed moments that make you marvel at his relative maturity. And there have also been those instances that remind that the almost-23-year-old still has a long path to venture down.
‘It’s just a learning curve,’ he said after going 0-for-4 with a walk in the Red Sox’ 13-0 win over the Blue Jays Sunday afternoon at Rogers Centre, ‘and I’m going to get on that curve soon.’
Bradley is heading into the home opener carrying a .143 batting average (3-for-21) with a .333 on-base percentage. He has struck out seven times, drawing five walks while scoring four runs.
Also, of the 12 balls Bradley has put in play, 11 have been on the ground.
After the shock and awe that he pushed forward at Yankee Stadium, Bradley was presented with the next round of reality during his three games in Canada.
‘They attacked him on the inside part of the plate a little bit. They did a good job,’ said Red Sox manager John Farrell. ‘They mixed up some breaking balls for strikes. They spread the zone away from him. I don’t think he expanded all that much. He saw some fastballs probably in at the belt and above that maybe he hasn’t seen that much. He’s learning.’
Bradley isn’t going to argue with his manager’s assessment.
‘They did come in quite a bit,’ he said. ‘I hit some hard, and others I just missed my pitch. I think that’s a fair assessment..’ He later added, ‘I’m also trying to make adjustments. It’s going to take some time, but I’m going to keep battling.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Swihart, Rodriguez, Coyle and Shaw added to 40-man roster
- Red Sox to decide who to protect from Rule 5 Draft on Thursday
- Kukuk arrested, charged with aggravated robbery
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Allen Webster
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Brandon Workman
- Alex Hassan claimed off waivers by Oakland
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: AFL winds down, Vazquez makes debut
- 2014 Graduates in Review: Jackie Bradley, Jr.
- Red Sox name Mike Rikard Director of Amateur Scouting
- Top 40 in Review: Blake Swihart