David Ortiz gets two hits, Franklin Morales works an inning in extended spring games
|04.09.13 at 5:42 pm ET|
While the Red Sox have Tuesday off following the team’s home opener against the Orioles on Monday, some activity of players on the big league roster — more specifically, the disabled list — did take place on Tuesday.
David Ortiz (recovering from what the team has described as Achilles tendinopathy) played for the second time in as many games in Fort Myers, this time in an extended spring training game (after a simulated game with/against Sox minor leagues on Monday). He went 2-for-5 with a pair of singles. Meanwhile, left-hander Franklin Morales (returning from a back injury) logged an inning of work, throwing 15 pitches and facing four batters. Fellow DL-ed reliever Craig Breslow (shoulder strength) threw on flat ground at 120 feet.
Ortiz is expected to play one more game in extended spring training before moving to Triple-A Pawtucket for rehab games. Meanwhile, Morales is expected to make two more appearances in extended spring training, getting stretched out to three innings of work, before he commences a minor league rehab assignment. Breslow, the team hopes, will appear in an extended spring training game later this week.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Eduardo Rodriguez debuts in Venezuela