David Ortiz gets two hits, Franklin Morales works an inning in extended spring games
|04.09.13 at 5:42 pm ET|
While the Red Sox have Tuesday off following the team’s home opener against the Orioles on Monday, some activity of players on the big league roster — more specifically, the disabled list — did take place on Tuesday.
David Ortiz (recovering from what the team has described as Achilles tendinopathy) played for the second time in as many games in Fort Myers, this time in an extended spring training game (after a simulated game with/against Sox minor leagues on Monday). He went 2-for-5 with a pair of singles. Meanwhile, left-hander Franklin Morales (returning from a back injury) logged an inning of work, throwing 15 pitches and facing four batters. Fellow DL-ed reliever Craig Breslow (shoulder strength) threw on flat ground at 120 feet.
Ortiz is expected to play one more game in extended spring training before moving to Triple-A Pawtucket for rehab games. Meanwhile, Morales is expected to make two more appearances in extended spring training, getting stretched out to three innings of work, before he commences a minor league rehab assignment. Breslow, the team hopes, will appear in an extended spring training game later this week.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles