David Ortiz gets two hits, Franklin Morales works an inning in extended spring games
|04.09.13 at 5:42 pm ET|
While the Red Sox have Tuesday off following the team’s home opener against the Orioles on Monday, some activity of players on the big league roster — more specifically, the disabled list — did take place on Tuesday.
David Ortiz (recovering from what the team has described as Achilles tendinopathy) played for the second time in as many games in Fort Myers, this time in an extended spring training game (after a simulated game with/against Sox minor leagues on Monday). He went 2-for-5 with a pair of singles. Meanwhile, left-hander Franklin Morales (returning from a back injury) logged an inning of work, throwing 15 pitches and facing four batters. Fellow DL-ed reliever Craig Breslow (shoulder strength) threw on flat ground at 120 feet.
Ortiz is expected to play one more game in extended spring training before moving to Triple-A Pawtucket for rehab games. Meanwhile, Morales is expected to make two more appearances in extended spring training, getting stretched out to three innings of work, before he commences a minor league rehab assignment. Breslow, the team hopes, will appear in an extended spring training game later this week.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo
- Red Sox deal Anthony Ranaudo to Rangers for Robbie Ross Jr.
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Perth heads to the playoffs
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings
- Red Sox acquire Danny Rosenbaum from Nationals for Dan Butler