David Ortiz gets two hits, Franklin Morales works an inning in extended spring games
|04.09.13 at 5:42 pm ET|
While the Red Sox have Tuesday off following the team’s home opener against the Orioles on Monday, some activity of players on the big league roster — more specifically, the disabled list — did take place on Tuesday.
David Ortiz (recovering from what the team has described as Achilles tendinopathy) played for the second time in as many games in Fort Myers, this time in an extended spring training game (after a simulated game with/against Sox minor leagues on Monday). He went 2-for-5 with a pair of singles. Meanwhile, left-hander Franklin Morales (returning from a back injury) logged an inning of work, throwing 15 pitches and facing four batters. Fellow DL-ed reliever Craig Breslow (shoulder strength) threw on flat ground at 120 feet.
Ortiz is expected to play one more game in extended spring training before moving to Triple-A Pawtucket for rehab games. Meanwhile, Morales is expected to make two more appearances in extended spring training, getting stretched out to three innings of work, before he commences a minor league rehab assignment. Breslow, the team hopes, will appear in an extended spring training game later this week.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Is Patriots' Day? Your Introduction to Boston's Greatest Holiday
- Stock Up, Stock Down for Boston Red Sox's Top 5 Prospects for Week 1
- Jackie Bradley Jr. to Be Placed on 10-Day DL with Knee Injury
- David Price's 1st Bullpen Session Since Elbow Injury Captured on Video
- Chris Sale Produces Dominant Debut Red Sox Needed to See
- 5 Bold Predictions for the Boston Red Sox's 2017 Season
- Boston Red Sox: Complete 2017 Season Preview, Predictions
- Cup of Coffee: Lakins, Anderson deal, Swihart homers
- Cup of Coffee: Brentz homers in both ends of doubleheader
- Minor Notes: Steen in critical condition after early morning car crash
- Scouting Scratch: Rafael Devers
- System Restart '17: Low-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Sexton allows one hit over six innings for Greenville
- System Restart '17: Mid-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd, Rei highlight quiet night in system
- System Restart '17: Upper-level pitching
- Cup of Coffee: Shawaryn strikes out nine as Drive cruise