‘Prognosis is good’ for John Lackey after second opinion
|04.09.13 at 9:26 pm ET|
According to a team source, after undergoing a second opinion Monday the “prognosis is good” John Lackey regarding the starter’s injured right biceps. The source did report, however, that the starter will likely miss his next turn in the rotation, which was originally scheduled for Friday against Tampa Bay.
Alfredo Aceves is a candidate to make a spot start, likely Sunday at Fenway against the Rays.
Red Sox manager John Farrell said Monday that no tear was detected in the biceps, which was injured in the fifth inning of Lackey’s first start of the season. The initial diagnosis following Sunday’s MRI was that there was inflammation in the biceps, but nothing more serious.
Farrell also surmised prior to his team’s home opener that it was “unlikely” the righty would be able to make his next start without at least being pushed back.
For more from Farrell’s Monday morning press conference, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Ortiz Ties Jimmie Foxx for 18th on All-Time Home Runs List
- Pedroia Has Become Forgotten Star in Red Sox's Booming Offense
- Andrew Benintendi Injury: Updates on Red Sox OF's Knee, Return
- Buchholz Can Still Play Big Part in Red Sox's Title Hopes
- Porcello's Resurgence Worth Every Penny of Extension
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- Transaction Analysis: Breaking down the Yoan Moncada call-up
- Moncada, Kopech headline seven headed to Arizona Fall League
- Cup of Coffee: DSL Red Sox2 break out brooms; Dalbec keeps raking
- Return to past hitting mechanics fueling Bobby Dalbec's success
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and LaMarre lead the way for PawSox
- Weekly Notes: Moncada, Devers, Tavarez nab postseason awards
- Cup of Coffee: Salem walks off, Downs homers
- Cup of Coffee: Groome impresses while Johnson falters
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects five hits, Chatham belts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon comes up clutch, Dalbec stays hot for Lowell