‘Prognosis is good’ for John Lackey after second opinion
|04.09.13 at 9:26 pm ET|
According to a team source, after undergoing a second opinion Monday the “prognosis is good” John Lackey regarding the starter’s injured right biceps. The source did report, however, that the starter will likely miss his next turn in the rotation, which was originally scheduled for Friday against Tampa Bay.
Alfredo Aceves is a candidate to make a spot start, likely Sunday at Fenway against the Rays.
Red Sox manager John Farrell said Monday that no tear was detected in the biceps, which was injured in the fifth inning of Lackey’s first start of the season. The initial diagnosis following Sunday’s MRI was that there was inflammation in the biceps, but nothing more serious.
Farrell also surmised prior to his team’s home opener that it was “unlikely” the righty would be able to make his next start without at least being pushed back.
For more from Farrell’s Monday morning press conference, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory