‘Prognosis is good’ for John Lackey after second opinion
|04.09.13 at 9:26 pm ET|
According to a team source, after undergoing a second opinion Monday the “prognosis is good” John Lackey regarding the starter’s injured right biceps. The source did report, however, that the starter will likely miss his next turn in the rotation, which was originally scheduled for Friday against Tampa Bay.
Alfredo Aceves is a candidate to make a spot start, likely Sunday at Fenway against the Rays.
Red Sox manager John Farrell said Monday that no tear was detected in the biceps, which was injured in the fifth inning of Lackey’s first start of the season. The initial diagnosis following Sunday’s MRI was that there was inflammation in the biceps, but nothing more serious.
Farrell also surmised prior to his team’s home opener that it was “unlikely” the righty would be able to make his next start without at least being pushed back.
For more from Farrell’s Monday morning press conference, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Weekly Notes: Blake Swihart's hot start; Rusney Castillo on the mend
- Cup of Coffee: Cuevas struggles with command, Barnes bounces back
- Cup of Coffee: Swihart leads PawSox hit parade, Rodriguez earns first win
- Cup of Coffee: Ball stymies Mudcats, Brentz leads Pawtucket past Rochester
- Swihart learning to catch the knuckler in Pawtucket
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 7: Low Minors Pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Brentz walks off for PawSox home opener
- Cup of Coffee: Jackie Bradley Jr. continues hot start, Pawtucket falls in doubleheader
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 6: Mid-Minors Pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Margot, Longhi, and Cecchini provide the power