John Lackey: ‘Definitely frustrated … but relieved, too’
|04.10.13 at 4:06 pm ET|
Red Sox starter John Lackey, who was placed on the 15-day disabled list Wednesday due to a right biceps strain, said that he was hopeful that his stay on the DL might be limited to an absence of just a couple of starts. The right-hander said that the decision to put him on the disabled list was made after he tried to play catch on Tuesday, an off-day for the Sox. He tried to make about 15 throws on flat ground before the exercise was stopped due to the experience of ongoing tightness in his injured arm.
“I knew it was a little tight. I thought it might loosen up when I threw, but it didn’t really loosen up. … It wasn’t quite ready yesterday. I tried to play catch and it was still pretty tight in the biceps,” said Lackey. “They’re going to give it a couple days and then just get treatment, that type of stuff, and try it again.”
Lackey said that he was “hoping” to miss just a couple of starts.
“I still think that’s a possibility, for sure,” he said. “But taking it a day at a time right now.”
On the one hand, Lackey acknowledged frustration with the fact that, after waiting 18 months to pitch in a major league game while rehabbing from Tommy John surgery, his first effort to do so led him back to the disabled list. At the same time, given his concerns that he might have blown out his arm again, Lackey was also mindful that a two-week stint on the DL represented anything but a worst-case scenario.
“It could have been a lot worse, for sure,” said Lackey. “I’m definitely frustrated a little bit but relieved, too. It could have been worse.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again
- Scouting Updates: Mata leads group of DSL player page updates
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Eduardo Rodriguez debuts in Venezuela