John Lackey: ‘Definitely frustrated … but relieved, too’
|04.10.13 at 4:06 pm ET|
Red Sox starter John Lackey, who was placed on the 15-day disabled list Wednesday due to a right biceps strain, said that he was hopeful that his stay on the DL might be limited to an absence of just a couple of starts. The right-hander said that the decision to put him on the disabled list was made after he tried to play catch on Tuesday, an off-day for the Sox. He tried to make about 15 throws on flat ground before the exercise was stopped due to the experience of ongoing tightness in his injured arm.
“I knew it was a little tight. I thought it might loosen up when I threw, but it didn’t really loosen up. … It wasn’t quite ready yesterday. I tried to play catch and it was still pretty tight in the biceps,” said Lackey. “They’re going to give it a couple days and then just get treatment, that type of stuff, and try it again.”
Lackey said that he was “hoping” to miss just a couple of starts.
“I still think that’s a possibility, for sure,” he said. “But taking it a day at a time right now.”
On the one hand, Lackey acknowledged frustration with the fact that, after waiting 18 months to pitch in a major league game while rehabbing from Tommy John surgery, his first effort to do so led him back to the disabled list. At the same time, given his concerns that he might have blown out his arm again, Lackey was also mindful that a two-week stint on the DL represented anything but a worst-case scenario.
“It could have been a lot worse, for sure,” said Lackey. “I’m definitely frustrated a little bit but relieved, too. It could have been worse.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins