Source: Red Sox no interest in trading for Aaron Harang
|04.10.13 at 8:21 pm ET|
According to a source, the Red Sox don’t have interest in trading for pitcher Aaron Harang, who was recently designated for assignment by Colorado.
The lack of interest in the 34-year-old was an example of how the Red Sox currently view their starting pitching depth.
Even with the prospects of being without John Lackey for at least the next two times through the rotation, Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington said he is satisfied with the starting options at the team’s disposal.
“You can never have enough, but we feel pretty good about where we are,’ said Cherington of the organizational pitching depth. ‘We feel better than we did at this point last year.
‘[Alfredo] Aceves is going to get a shot here. He’s had a good history with the Orioles. We think he’s capable of starting. This is something he wants to do. We’re looking forward to seeing what he can do. We’ll see where we go after that. [Franklin] Morales is starting to pitch in Fort Myers. He’ll get stretched out. He’s going to pitch again later this week, and he’ll get bumped up each time. Hopefully he’s another option for us as we get to the end of April. And then there’s the guys in Pawtucket. But you always have to have your eyes open. It’s an area you can never have enough of.”
Outside of Aceves, who will start Thursday against the Orioles, and Morales, other starting depth options in Pawtucket include knuckleballer Steven Wright, Allen Webster and Terry Doyle, who allowed just one hit over 6 1/3 innings in his first start for the PawSox.
Wright has allowed three runs over 10 innings in his two Triple-A start this season, while Webster turned in a two-hit, scoreless five innings in his Pawtucket debut.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo
- Red Sox deal Anthony Ranaudo to Rangers for Robbie Ross Jr.
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Perth heads to the playoffs
- Rookie Dev Program notes: Ramos healthy, Swihart looks back
- Mookie Betts is prepared for whatever 2015 may bring
- Brian Johnson prepared to follow up stellar 2014 campaign
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Weeks helps Mayaguez advance to finals
- Rookie Development Program easing transition for young players
- Offseason Notes: Veterans Bianchi, Boggs highlight minor league signings
- Red Sox acquire Danny Rosenbaum from Nationals for Dan Butler