Source: Red Sox no interest in trading for Aaron Harang
|04.10.13 at 8:21 pm ET|
According to a source, the Red Sox don’t have interest in trading for pitcher Aaron Harang, who was recently designated for assignment by Colorado.
The lack of interest in the 34-year-old was an example of how the Red Sox currently view their starting pitching depth.
Even with the prospects of being without John Lackey for at least the next two times through the rotation, Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington said he is satisfied with the starting options at the team’s disposal.
“You can never have enough, but we feel pretty good about where we are,’ said Cherington of the organizational pitching depth. ‘We feel better than we did at this point last year.
‘[Alfredo] Aceves is going to get a shot here. He’s had a good history with the Orioles. We think he’s capable of starting. This is something he wants to do. We’re looking forward to seeing what he can do. We’ll see where we go after that. [Franklin] Morales is starting to pitch in Fort Myers. He’ll get stretched out. He’s going to pitch again later this week, and he’ll get bumped up each time. Hopefully he’s another option for us as we get to the end of April. And then there’s the guys in Pawtucket. But you always have to have your eyes open. It’s an area you can never have enough of.”
Outside of Aceves, who will start Thursday against the Orioles, and Morales, other starting depth options in Pawtucket include knuckleballer Steven Wright, Allen Webster and Terry Doyle, who allowed just one hit over 6 1/3 innings in his first start for the PawSox.
Wright has allowed three runs over 10 innings in his two Triple-A start this season, while Webster turned in a two-hit, scoreless five innings in his Pawtucket debut.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez impress in PR finals
- Scouting Report Update: Groome, Shawaryn lead first Lowell updates
- Scouting Report Updates: GCL updates from Fall Instructs
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo, Vazquez meet in PR finals
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Leon debuts, Elias strikes out seven
- SoxProspects.com's Top Posts of 2016
- December Notes: Sox deal key prospects for Sale, Thornburg
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Rodriguez tweaks knee, Castillo rakes
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Ramirez debuts, Vazquez homers
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Abad debuts, Hernandez goes deep again