Stephen Drew activated, Alex Wilson called up as John Lackey heads to DL
|04.10.13 at 2:00 pm ET|
The Red Sox placed right-hander John Lackey on the 15-day disabled list due to his right biceps strain. With right-hander Alfredo Aceves moving from the bullpen into the rotation, the Sox reinforced their relief corps by calling up right-hander Alex Wilson, who will be in the majors for the first time in his career.
Lackey allowed two runs and struck out eight in 4 1/3 innings before experiencing his setback. While an MRI did not detect a tear and the initial outlook for the right-hander — who was making his first big league appearance in 18 months, after spending all of last year rehabbing from Tommy John surgery — was promising, the team evidently felt that it was unrealistic for Lackey to start within the next 15 days.
Wilson, a second-round pick of the Red Sox in 2009, was added to the 40-man roster this winter. The right-hander had made two appearances this year with Triple-A Pawtucket — one good (two shutout innings, one hit, three strikeouts), one not so much (2/3 inning, three hits, three runs). Still, he had a strong performance in spring training (one run, 7 2/3 innings, 1.17 ERA, 9 strikeouts, 2 walks), and his mid-90s fastball and swing-and-miss slider allow the 26-year-old to project as an eventual late-innings option.
In addition to those moves, the Red Sox also are activating shortstop Stephen Drew from the seven-day concussion disabled list. Shortstop Jose Iglesias was optioned to Triple-A, a move that officially took place on Tuesday. In six games, Iglesias hit .450 with two doubles for the Sox.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox acquire Cespedes and draft pick for Lester and Gomes
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson's arm carries Portland to victory
- Felix Doubront traded to Cubs for PTBNL
- Cup of Coffee: Owens lifts Portland, Guzman's big day not enough for Greenville
- Justin Haley promoted to Portland; Jonathan Aro moved up to Salem
- Players of the Week, 7/21-27: Brian Johnson & Travis Shaw
- Cup of Coffee: Rain can't dampen Augliera, Swihart
- Weekly Notes: Trade deadline approaches
- Cup of Coffee: Light continues to shine, Portland mounts a comeback
- Red Sox acquire two pitching prospects in Peavy trade