Wednesday’s Red Sox-Orioles matchups: Ryan Dempster vs. Jake Arrieta
|04.10.13 at 9:38 am ET|
After their ninth consecutive home-opening victory Monday, the Red Sox will look to Ryan Dempster to continue their early season success. Dempster, who will be making his first Fenway start in a Red Sox uniform, will be opposed by Jake Arrieta.
Dempster is coming off of his Red Sox debut, which featured mixed results. In Thursday’s 4-2 loss vs. the Yankees, the 35-year-old grinded through five innings, allowed four walks in his 101-pitch effort. On the positive side, Dempster allowed just five hits and three runs and had eight strikeouts. However, he was matched up with what looked to be a 1996 version of Andy Pettitte, who hurled eight innings of one-run ball.
Said Dempster after the game: “I just got outpitched by the guy on the other side of the field. I made a lot of good pitches and a couple of balls fell in. That was enough to win the game.”
Arrieta also will head into Wednesday night’s start looking to give his team a bit more durability and limiting the number of baserunners. On Friday against the Twins, Arrieta went five-plus innings, allowed five runs on seven hits, walked two and struck out five. When Arrieta was removed by Buck Showalter in the sixth he was in position for the loss, but the O’s rallied for a 9-5 victory.
Said Showalter of Arrieta’s first start: “You can see why Jake has the chance to be so good and why he kind of gets away from it a little bit.”
Dempster will have the opportunity to reach the .500 mark for his career, as he comes into Wednesday’s start with a 124-125 career record. He could have had more wins, but he spent three seasons as the Cubs’ primary closer before returning to the rotation in 2008. Dempster does not have much experience facing the O’s, but in his limited innings he has been very good. In the past 10 years he has a 1-0 record and a 1.35 ERA, with six strikeouts in 13 1/3 innings.
Arrieta has struggled in his career vs. the Red Sox. He holds an 0-3 record with a 6.00 ERA, while striking out 14 in 24 innings of work.
The only two Orioles with much experience facing Dempster are J.J. Hardy and Nate McLouth, who both spent significant portions of their careers in the National League. Hardy has struggled mightily against Dempster, but McLouth has hit .300 against him, with a home run and three runs batted in.
Current Red Sox hitters with at-bats vs. Arrieta have pounded him to the tune of a combined .500 batting average, with seven home runs in 38 at-bats.
Orioles vs. Dempster (RHP)
J.J. Hardy (30 plate appearances): .074 BA/.103 OBP/.111 SLG, 2 RBI, 1 double, 1 walk, 7 strikeouts
Nate McLouth (25): .300/.440/.550, 1 home run, 3 RBI, 2 doubles, 3 walks, 4 strikeouts
Nick Markakis (4): .333/.500/.333, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Chris Davis (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Adam Jones (3): .667/.667/.667, 1 RBI
Manny Machado (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Steve Pearce (3): .500/.667/1.000, 1 double, 1 strikeout
Matt Wieters (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Alexi Casilla, Ryan Flaherty, Nolan Reimold and Taylor Teagarden have never faced Dempster.
Red Sox vs. Arrieta (RHP)
Dustin Pedroia (11 plate appearances): .364/.364/.636, 1 HR, 3 RBI
Jacoby Ellsbury (7): .400/.571/1.600, 2 HR, 2 RBI, 2 walks
Daniel Nava (6): .600/.667/1.200, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Mike Napoli (5): .400/.400/1.000, 1 HR, 1 RBI
Will Middlebrooks (3): .667/.667/1.000, 1 RBI, 1 double, 1 strikeout
Shane Victorino (3): 1.000/1.000/2.333, 1 HR, 5 RBI, 1 double
David Ross (2): 1.000/1.000/2.500, 1 HR, 4 RBI
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (2): .500/.500/.500
Jonny Gomes (1): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Pedro Ciriaco has one walk in two plate appearances vs. Arrieta.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins