Thursday’s Red Sox-Orioles matchups: Alfredo Aceves vs. Chris Tillman
|04.11.13 at 9:31 am ET|
Alfredo Aceves will make his first start of 2013 on Thursday night, as he takes the place of injured starter John Lackey in the rotation. Aceves‘ counterpart will be Orioles right-hander Chris Tillman. Felix Doubront has been pushed back to start in Friday’s series-opener vs. the Rays.
This will be Aceves’ first start since June 21, 2011, when he went five innings and allowed four runs on four hits and six walks with four strikeouts in a no-decision against the Padres. In two relief appearances this year, Aceves has a 0-0 record with a 10.38 ERA. He has allowed five hits and five runs in 4 1/3 innings. He has allowed a home run in each of his first two outings.
Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington noted that it has been the plan all along for Aceves to join the rotation if needed, and after Lackey’s biceps injury in Saturday’s loss to the Blue Jays, Aceves will have that opportunity.
“It just made sense for us to stick with that,” Cherington said. “We’ll see what he does. He’s certainly capable of being a good starting pitcher. He has the pitches in the mix. He’s excited for opportunity. We’ll see how it goes.”
For the O’s, Tillman will be looking to rebound from a tough outing on Saturday against the Twins. He pitched just 3 2/3 innings, allowing five runs on seven hits and four walks with four strikeouts, and was fortunate to come away with a no-decision. In his 15 totals starts in 2012, Tillman only allowed five or more earned runs once.
“I felt good throughout the whole game,” Tillman said. “Physically, I felt really good. Mechanically, I felt like I was fine. All game long, I was kind of yanking, yanking my fastball and my changeup. Made some good pitches with my changeup, but I threw it to the wrong part of the plate.”
The Sox might be a good opponent for Tillman to get back on track. He is 1-1 with a 2.88 ERA in 25 career innings against Boston.
Current Red Sox hitters are hitting a combined .222 with only two extra-base hits in their careers vs. Tillman. For the Orioles, Adam Jones has had the most success against Aceves, hitting .333 with a home run and two doubles.
Orioles vs. Aceves (RHP)
J.J. Hardy (18 plate appearances): .167 BA/.167 OBP/.167 SLG, 3 strikeouts
Adam Jones (18): .333/.333/.611, 1 home run, 1 RBI, 2 doubles, 2 strikeouts
Nick Markakis (17): .250/.294/.375, 2 doubles, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Matt Wieters (14): .083/.214/.167, 1 double, 2 walks, 3 strikeouts
Chris Davis (12): .167/.167/.167, 4 strikeouts
Nolan Reimold (11): .100/.182/.100, 3 strikeouts
Alexi Casilla (5): .250/.400/.500, 1 double
Ryan Flaherty (5): .400/.400/.600, 1 RBI, 1 double, 1 strikeout
Taylor Teagarden (4): .250/.250/.250, 1 RBI, 2 strikeouts
Manny Machado (3): .333/.333/.667, 1 double, 1 RBI, 2 strikeouts
Nate McLouth (2): .500/.500/1.000, 1 double
Chris Dickerson has a sacrifice fly and an RBI in one plate appearance vs. Aceves. Steve Pearce has a sacrifice bunt in one plate appearance vs. Aceves.
Red Sox vs. Tillman (RHP)
Dustin Pedroia (14 plate appearances): .364/.429/.455, 2 RBI, 1 double, 2 walks
Pedro Ciriaco (8): .167/.286/.167, 1 walk
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (8): .125/.125/.250, 1 double, 3 strikeouts
Jacoby Ellsbury (6): .167/.167/.167, 1 strikeout
Daniel Nava (5): .250/.400/.250, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Mike Carp (3): .333/.333/.333, 1 strikeout
Mike Napoli (3): .333/.333/.333, 1 strikeout
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins