Source: Court hearing for Red Sox prospect Drake Britton rescheduled
|04.12.13 at 7:39 am ET|
According to a source with knowledge of the situation, the hearing originally slated for April 12 involving Red Sox pitching prospect Drake Britton in Lee County (Fla.) Court has been rescheduled for either later in the 2013 season, or after the season. No date has yet been determined.
Britton is facing multiple misdemeanor charges stemming from allegedly driving under the influence, reckless driving and DUI with property damage. According to a Lee County Sheriff’s Office police report, the pitcher had been arrested at 4:42 a.m., March 2 on Ben Hill Griffin Parkway in Estero, Fla., having led the police on a high-speed pursuit that clocked Britton driving at 111 mph.
After posting bond, the 23-year-old appeared in court on March 5, when the original April 12 hearing was scheduled after Britton entered into a not guilty plea.
The most serious charge, DUI and property damage, is punishable by up to a year in jail, a $1,000 fine, or both. A first-offense DUI can draw up to six months in jail and a fine up to $500.
Britton had perhaps his best Double-A outing to date Wednesday, allowing one run on four hits while striking out four and not walking a batter for the Portland Sea Dogs against Reading. It was his second appearance of the season, having struggled through a three-inning start (7 runs) on April 4.
Speaking to WEEI.com six days after the incident, Britton said, ‘I’m extremely remorseful. It’s an internal matter that’s going on right now. I’m sorry for the negativity that I brought, but that’s about all I can say right now. I’d really rather not say anything else.’
Britton allowed three runs on five hits and four walks while striking out one in 3 1/3 Grapefruit League innings. Still, his stuff had been impressing members of the big league coaching staff, building on a strong 2012 season in which he finished the year with a 3.72 ERA with 16 starts with Double-A Portland with 76 strikeouts and 38 walks in 84 2/3 innings.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Fort Report: Moncada Madness
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando