Source: Court hearing for Red Sox prospect Drake Britton rescheduled
|04.12.13 at 7:39 am ET|
According to a source with knowledge of the situation, the hearing originally slated for April 12 involving Red Sox pitching prospect Drake Britton in Lee County (Fla.) Court has been rescheduled for either later in the 2013 season, or after the season. No date has yet been determined.
Britton is facing multiple misdemeanor charges stemming from allegedly driving under the influence, reckless driving and DUI with property damage. According to a Lee County Sheriff’s Office police report, the pitcher had been arrested at 4:42 a.m., March 2 on Ben Hill Griffin Parkway in Estero, Fla., having led the police on a high-speed pursuit that clocked Britton driving at 111 mph.
After posting bond, the 23-year-old appeared in court on March 5, when the original April 12 hearing was scheduled after Britton entered into a not guilty plea.
The most serious charge, DUI and property damage, is punishable by up to a year in jail, a $1,000 fine, or both. A first-offense DUI can draw up to six months in jail and a fine up to $500.
Britton had perhaps his best Double-A outing to date Wednesday, allowing one run on four hits while striking out four and not walking a batter for the Portland Sea Dogs against Reading. It was his second appearance of the season, having struggled through a three-inning start (7 runs) on April 4.
Speaking to WEEI.com six days after the incident, Britton said, ‘I’m extremely remorseful. It’s an internal matter that’s going on right now. I’m sorry for the negativity that I brought, but that’s about all I can say right now. I’d really rather not say anything else.’
Britton allowed three runs on five hits and four walks while striking out one in 3 1/3 Grapefruit League innings. Still, his stuff had been impressing members of the big league coaching staff, building on a strong 2012 season in which he finished the year with a 3.72 ERA with 16 starts with Double-A Portland with 76 strikeouts and 38 walks in 84 2/3 innings.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory
- Scouting Scratch: Tate Matheny and Kyri Washington
- Cup of Coffee: Kent dominates, Devers scores game-winner
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada homers twice, Kopech strikes out nine
- Podcast Ep. #102: Groome signs, Dave deals, podcast delivered