Jon Lester moves up Red Sox strikeout charts, surpassing Luis Tiant for sixth place
|04.13.13 at 2:08 pm ET|
With a third-inning strikeout of Evan Longoria, who swung through a 90 mph cutter, Jon Lester further cemented his place as one of the greatest Red Sox K artists in franchise history. His third strikeout of the day gave the left-hander 1,076 for his career, moving him ahead of Luis Tiant for the sixth highest career strikeout total in Red Sox franchise history. Lester already sits atop the all-time leaderboard for left-handed pitchers in Red Sox history.
Here is the list of Red Sox all-time strikeout leaders (with strikeouts per nine innings in parentheses):
1) Roger Clemens – 2,590 (8.4)
2) Tim Wakefield – 2,046 (6.1)
3) Pedro Martinez – 1,683 (11.0)
4) Cy Young – 1,341 (4.4)
5) Josh Beckett – 1,108 (8.0)
6) Jon Lester – 1,076 (8.2)
7) Luis Tiant – 1,075 (5.5)
8) Bruce Hurst – 1,043 (6.4)
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Moncada and Benintendi named to Futures Game
- Cup of Coffee: Wilkerson strikes out eight to make his case
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, O'Sullivan impress on the mound
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Sam Travis
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash