Saturday’s Red Sox-Rays matchups: Jon Lester vs. David Price
|04.13.13 at 8:22 am ET|
Jon Lester will pitch before the Fenway crowd for the first time this year on Saturday, taking on the Rays at 1:05 p.m. in search of his third win of the season. The Rays will send 2012 AL Cy Young winner David Price to the mound against him.
Lester is coming off an excellent start against the Blue Jays in his last outing. He threw seven shutout innings with six strikeouts and no walks as the Sox offense rolled to a 13-0 win. That was an improvement on a solid first appearance, in which he gave up two runs in five innings against the Yankees on Opening Day.
Price was rocked in his last start, on April 7 against the Indians. He gave up eight runs on 10 hits over five innings, including two home runs, and the Rays were shut out, 13-0. He was closer to his usual self in his first start, allowing two runs in seven innings as the Rays lost to the Orioles on April 2.
Against the Red Sox in his career, Price has generally lived up to his spot at the top of the Rays’ rotation. He has a 3.08 ERA and 1.25 WHIP in 15 starts against the Sox, and Boston hitters have a .236/.303/.400 line against him.
Last year, Price faced the Sox five times and struck out 36 batters in 33 2/3 innings, earning a 2.94 ERA.
The last time Lester saw the Rays, he went six innings but gave up home runs to Carlos Pena and Ben Francisco in his penultimate start of 2012, on Sept. 26. He has a 4.30 ERA and a 1.30 WHIP in 132 career innings against the Rays.
Jacoby Ellsbury has singled, doubled, tripled and homered against Price (though not all in the same game), with a .286/.348/.667 line in 23 PAs. Dustin Pedroia has also enjoyed success against the Rays’ ace, hitting .323/.417/.516 with a home run against him in 36 appearances.
Rays vs. Lester (LHP)
Evan Longoria (51 plate appearances): .250 BA/.353 OBP/.477 SLG, 2 home runs, 2 doubles, 8 RBI, 7 walks, 14 strikeouts
Ben Zobrist (41): .229/.341/.371, 1 HR, 2 doubles, 6 RBI, 6 walks, 15 strikeouts
Yunel Escobar (29): .304/.393/.304, 2 RBI, 3 walks, 5 strikeouts
Sean Rodriguez (20): .125/.250/.188, 1 double, 3 RBI, 2 walks, 7 strikeouts
Jose Molina (17): .333/.412/.333, 2 walks, 4 strikeouts
Shelley Duncan (15): .308/.400/.462, 2 doubles, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 6 strikeouts
Desmond Jennings (13): .250/.308/.417, 2 doubles, 1 walk, 4 strikeouts
Kelly Johnson (10): .000/.200/.000, 2 walks, 3 strikeouts
Jose Lobaton (7): .000/.000/.000, 3 strikeouts
Sam Fuld (6): .167/.167/.167, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Matthew Joyce (4): .667/.750/1.667,1 HR, 4 RBI, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Ryan Roberts has no hits against Lester in two PAs. James Loney has never faced Lester.
Red Sox vs. Price (LHP)
Dustin Pedroia (36): .323/.417/.516, 1 HR, 3 doubles, 2 RBI, 5 walks, 3 strikeouts
Jacoby Ellsbury (23): .286/.348/.667, 1 HR, 1 triple, 3 doubles, 1 RBI, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
Daniel Nava (16): .067/.125/.067, 1 walk, 7 strikeouts
Mike Napoli (15): .214/.267/.214, 1 walk, 10 strikeouts
Pedro Ciriaco (10): .100/.100/.100, 5 strikeouts
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (10): .125/.300/.250, 1 double, 2 walks, 3 strikeouts
Jonny Gomes (9): .333/.333/.444, 1 double, 3 strikeouts
Will Middlebrooks (6): .500/.500/1.000, 1 HR, 3 RBI, 1 strikeout
Shane Victorino (6): .250/.500/.250, 1 RBI, 2 walks
David Ross (3): .333/.333/1.333, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Jackie Bradley and Mike Carp have never faced Price.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Boyd spins gem, Hill stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Mendoza leads DSL 1 in lone affiliate victory