Joel Hanrahan to DL, Steven Wright up from Triple-A
|04.16.13 at 12:03 pm ET|
Red Sox closer Joel Hanrahan will be placed on the disabled list Tuesday with a strained right hamstring.
Right-handed pitcher Steven Wright will be called up from Triple-A Pawtucket to take his place on the roster. Wright was scratched from his scheduled start on Sunday in case he was needed in Boston.
Hanrahan injured his hamstring in the second game of the season, a win over the Yankees.
“It’s kind of been there every game,” Hanrahan said earlier this week. “It’s just progressively gotten a little worse. It’s something if I keep running out there and trying to do it I’ll hurt myself more and hurt the rest of the team. We felt the best way was to take it day by day and try to get it right.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Weekly Notes: Trade deadline approaches
- Cup of Coffee: Light continues to shine, Portland mounts a comeback
- Red Sox acquire two pitching prospects in Peavy trade
- Cup of Coffee: Pawtucket pushes streak to 11 games
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson strikes out 12 in win, Betts leads PawSox in route
- The Write-Up: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Owens falters in Futures rematch; Shaw leads PawSox
- Cup of Coffee: Martinez, Heller, Weems lead Salem bats in win
- Cup of Coffee: Light shines bright for Salem
- Players of the Week, 7/14-20: Michael Almanzar & Trey Ball