Lineup: Mike Carp gets his first start, Jackie Bradley sits as Sox face Justin Masterson
|04.17.13 at 2:48 pm ET|
When the Red Sox acquired Mike Carp in exchange for cash from the Mariners, they figured he would have an opportunity to impact the club as a fill-in first baseman, left fielder and designated hitter against right-handed starters. But in the early stages of 2013, he’s remained on mothballs, a byproduct of Jackie Bradley Jr.‘s presence on the team as well as the strong early showing by Daniel Nava. With Mike Napoli playing virtually every day at first base in the early going, there hasn’t been an opportunity for Carp to get on the field. Through 13 games, he’s 0-for-3 as a pinch-hitter.
But, with Indians right-hander Justin Masterson on the mound on Wednesday, the Red Sox want to load their lineup with as many left-handed hitters as possible. The former Red Sox pitcher, who is off to a spectacular 3-0 start with a 0.41 ERA, has achieved considerably greater success in his career against right-handed hitters (.223 average, .303 OBP, .300 slugging) as opposed to left-handed hitters (.289/.363/.427). And so, Carp — who is 0-for-4 with two strikeouts in his career against the sinkerballer — will finally get his first start of the season against Masterson and the Indians. Meanwhile, the struggling Jackie Bradley Jr. will sit for the second straight game against an Indians right-handed pitcher.
Jarrod Saltalamacchia will be behind the plate with Alfredo Aceves on the hill for his second start of the season. For complete histories of how the Sox have fared against Masterson and how Cleveland’s players have fared against Aceves, click here. For comprehensive team coverage, visit weei.com/redsox.
RED SOX LINEUP
Alfredo Aceves, SP
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Aaron Kurcz dealt to Atlanta for Anthony Varvaro
- Offseason Notes: Trades, signings, and awards
- Marco Hernandez received from Cubs to complete Doubront trade
- Podcast Ep. 69: Hot Stove on High
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Castillo/Vazquez headline action in Puerto Rico
- Trade analysis: Scouting the players in the Wade Miley deal
- Sox acquire Zeke Spruill for Myles Smith in second D-Backs trade
- Justin Masterson: An unlikely All-Star reunites with the Red Sox
- Trade analysis: Scouting the prospects dealt for Porcello
- Astros select Jason Garcia in Rule 5 draft, trade him to Orioles