Lineup: Mike Carp gets his first start, Jackie Bradley sits as Sox face Justin Masterson
|04.17.13 at 2:48 pm ET|
When the Red Sox acquired Mike Carp in exchange for cash from the Mariners, they figured he would have an opportunity to impact the club as a fill-in first baseman, left fielder and designated hitter against right-handed starters. But in the early stages of 2013, he’s remained on mothballs, a byproduct of Jackie Bradley Jr.‘s presence on the team as well as the strong early showing by Daniel Nava. With Mike Napoli playing virtually every day at first base in the early going, there hasn’t been an opportunity for Carp to get on the field. Through 13 games, he’s 0-for-3 as a pinch-hitter.
But, with Indians right-hander Justin Masterson on the mound on Wednesday, the Red Sox want to load their lineup with as many left-handed hitters as possible. The former Red Sox pitcher, who is off to a spectacular 3-0 start with a 0.41 ERA, has achieved considerably greater success in his career against right-handed hitters (.223 average, .303 OBP, .300 slugging) as opposed to left-handed hitters (.289/.363/.427). And so, Carp — who is 0-for-4 with two strikeouts in his career against the sinkerballer — will finally get his first start of the season against Masterson and the Indians. Meanwhile, the struggling Jackie Bradley Jr. will sit for the second straight game against an Indians right-handed pitcher.
Jarrod Saltalamacchia will be behind the plate with Alfredo Aceves on the hill for his second start of the season. For complete histories of how the Sox have fared against Masterson and how Cleveland’s players have fared against Aceves, click here. For comprehensive team coverage, visit weei.com/redsox.
RED SOX LINEUP
Alfredo Aceves, SP
Latest from Bleacher Report
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Kevin McAvoy and Bryce Brentz
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis leads way as Scottsdale wins AFL title
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Travis Lakins and Jalen Beeks
- Light, Jerez, and Hernandez added to 40-man roster
- Light, Hernandez top list of potential Friday roster additions
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Christopher Acosta and Ben Taylor
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Austin Glorius and Jordan Procyshen
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Travis blasts walk-off home run
- 2015 Top 40 Season in Review: Chandler Shepherd and Kyle Martin
- Podcast Ep. 88: Breaking down the Kimbrel trade