Wednesday’s Red Sox-Indians matchups: Alfredo Aceves vs. Justin Masterson
|04.17.13 at 10:38 am ET|
In his first start of 2013 (and his first since 2011), Aceves allowed two runs on six hits over five innings to the Orioles on April 11. He made two relief appearances before that start. In 9 1/3 total innings, he’s surrendered seven runs on 11 hits with five walks and nine strikeouts.
Aceves has never started against the Indians. As a reliever, he’s been strong, with eight strikeouts, five hits and two walks over 7 2/3 innings.
Masterson will look to extend his successful start to 2013 against the team that traded him in 2009. Through 22 innings this year, he has a 0.41 ERA with 20 strikeouts and eight walks.
Since the Sox dealt him as part of the Victor Martinez trade, Masterson has faced his former teammates five times and owns a 3.21 ERA and an 0.95 WHIP against them. Those numbers would look even better without his 2012 struggles: He gave up six runs in six innings against the Sox in his only start against them that year, mirroring his problems over that year as a whole.
In his career, Masterson has held right-handed hitters to a .220/.303/.300 line, but lefties have hit .283/.363/.427 against him, a positive for the Sox’ left-handers and switch-hitters.
The Sox put together a seven-run second inning in Tuesday’s series opener to beat the Indians, 7-2. They had just two extra-base hits, both doubles from Mike Napoli, but took advantage of erratic Indians starter Ubaldo Jimenez, who walked five in 1 2/3 innings.
Mark Reynolds has hit Aceves hard in 14 plate appearances, with a .333/.429/.917 line and two homers. Napoli has been similarly rough on Masterson in the same number of PAs, hitting .308/.357/.538 with a home run.
Red Sox vs. Masterson (RHP)
Mike Napoli (14 plate appearances): .308/.357/.538, 1 home run, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Dustin Pedroia (14): .077/.143/.077, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Jacoby Ellsbury (10): .222/.300/.222, 1 strikeout
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (8): .375/.375/.500, 1 double, 3 RBI, 1 strikeout
Stephen Drew (6): .167/.167/.167, 1 strikeout
Mike Carp (4): .000/.000/.000, 2 strikeouts
Shane Victorino (4): .000/.500/.000, 2 walks
Will Middlebrooks (3): .667/.667/1.667, 1 HR, 2 RBI, 1 strikeout
Daniel Nava (3): 1.000/1.000/2.000, 1 double, 1 RBI
David Ross (3): .000/.000/.000, 2 strikeouts
Jonny Gomes struck out in his only plate appearance against Masterson. Jackie Bradley and Pedro Ciriaco have never faced Masterson.
Indians vs. Aceves (RHP)
Mark Reynolds (14): .333/.429/.917, 2 HR, 1 double, 2 RBI, 1 walk, 5 strikeouts
Nick Swisher (12): .333/.500/.667, 3 doubles, 2 RBI, 2 walks, 3 strikeouts
Asdrubal Cabrera (3): .000/.333/.000, HBP
Carlos Santana (3): .000/.333/.000, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Mike Aviles (2): .500/.500/.500, 1 single
Michael Bourn (2): .500/.500/.500, 1 single
Michael Brantley (2): .500/.500/.500, 1 RBI
Jason Kipnis (2): .500/.500/.5000, 1 single
Lonnie Chisenhall, Jason Giambi, Yan Gomes, Cord Phelps, Ryan Raburn and Drew Stubbs have never faced Aceves.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies
- Fort Report: Benintendi to bat third in Boston?