David Ortiz: Contract not a factor in return to Red Sox roster
|04.18.13 at 8:55 pm ET|
PAWTUCKET, R.I. —Red Sox DH David Ortiz believes that, after launching a homer to right field in the sixth game of a rehab assignment with Triple-A Pawtucket, he’s ready to rejoin the Boston lineup and help the big league team. The 37-year-old said that he expects to be in the Red Sox lineup on Friday night, when his teammates return to Boston to open a 10-game homestand.
The timing of Ortiz’s anticipate activation is intriguing given the incentive structure of his contract. His two-year, $26 million deal includes a guarantee of $11 million in 2014 that can increase to $15 million based on how much time he misses this season related to the right Achilles injury that left him unable to play over the final two-plus months of last year. If he is on the DL for 21-40 days this year related to the Achilles, he would make $13 million next year; if he’s on the DL for 41 or more days related to the Achilles, his earnings would top out at $11 million.
Thursday marked the slugger’s 19th day on the DL this year; Saturday would be his 21st day on the shelf, meaning that if he’s not activated in the next two days, he’d lose $2 million in potential earnings for next year. Ortiz said he’s aware of the financial clause in his contract, but insisted that money has nothing to do with his declaration of his readiness to return on Friday.
“I just found out about [the contract clause] a couple of days ago. That’s not the thing I’m really thinking about right now,” Ortiz told WEEI.com. “I want to go back and I want to play, but if I wasn’t ready right now, then I wasn’t ready. That was going to be it. If I would be limping or hurting still, it is what it is. But I’m going back now because I feel ready and I want to be playing for my ball club.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies