David Ortiz homers in Triple-A game
|04.18.13 at 2:54 pm ET|
PAWTUCKET, R.I. — It had been a difficult initial start to the day for Red Sox DH David Ortiz, in his sixth game with the Pawtucket Red Sox on a rehab assignment. He faced impressive left-hander Adam Morgan, who overpowered him for strikeouts in each of his first two plate appearances, the first on a 94 mph fastball in the first inning, the second on a 95 mph fastball in the third.
But facing right-hander reliever Michael Stutes in the bottom of the fifth inning, Ortiz made his final plate appearance of the day an impactful one, blasting a solo homer to right field on Stutts’ 90 mph fastball over the plate on a 1-0 count. It was the first extra-base hit of Ortiz’ rehab assignment in 18 plate appearances. Ortiz is 4-for-18 with five strikeouts (and no walks) with Pawtucket.
Here’s the homer, via the WEEI.com Zaprudercam:
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: PawSox fall late in Gildan Championship Game
- The Write-Up: Rusney Castillo
- Cup of Coffee: Couch leads PawSox to Series win
- Cup of Coffee: Owens struggles, pushing PawSox to the brink
- Cup of Coffee: Pawtucket drops game two in extras
- Cup of Coffee: Pawtucket takes game one of Governor's Cup
- Rusney Castillo flashes exciting potential in Triple-A debut
- Barnes promoted to Boston
- The Write-Up: Matt Barnes
- Weekly Notes: Playoff baseball begins for affiliates, Castillo continues ascent