David Ortiz homers in Triple-A game
|04.18.13 at 2:54 pm ET|
PAWTUCKET, R.I. — It had been a difficult initial start to the day for Red Sox DH David Ortiz, in his sixth game with the Pawtucket Red Sox on a rehab assignment. He faced impressive left-hander Adam Morgan, who overpowered him for strikeouts in each of his first two plate appearances, the first on a 94 mph fastball in the first inning, the second on a 95 mph fastball in the third.
But facing right-hander reliever Michael Stutes in the bottom of the fifth inning, Ortiz made his final plate appearance of the day an impactful one, blasting a solo homer to right field on Stutts’ 90 mph fastball over the plate on a 1-0 count. It was the first extra-base hit of Ortiz’ rehab assignment in 18 plate appearances. Ortiz is 4-for-18 with five strikeouts (and no walks) with Pawtucket.
Here’s the homer, via the WEEI.com Zaprudercam:
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rich in pitching depth
- Fort Report: The games begin
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #53: Spring Training Mailbag
- Red Sox sign outfielder Bo Greenwell to minor league deal
- Josh Maurer joins PawSox radio team
- Fort Report: Camp kicks into full gear
- New Feature: Young Graduates
- Pitcher Francisco Tena suspended
- Fort Report: Pitchers and catchers report
- SoxProspects.com Podcast #52: ESPN Insider Keith Law on ranking the Red Sox