David Ortiz homers in Triple-A game
|04.18.13 at 2:54 pm ET|
PAWTUCKET, R.I. — It had been a difficult initial start to the day for Red Sox DH David Ortiz, in his sixth game with the Pawtucket Red Sox on a rehab assignment. He faced impressive left-hander Adam Morgan, who overpowered him for strikeouts in each of his first two plate appearances, the first on a 94 mph fastball in the first inning, the second on a 95 mph fastball in the third.
But facing right-hander reliever Michael Stutes in the bottom of the fifth inning, Ortiz made his final plate appearance of the day an impactful one, blasting a solo homer to right field on Stutts’ 90 mph fastball over the plate on a 1-0 count. It was the first extra-base hit of Ortiz’ rehab assignment in 18 plate appearances. Ortiz is 4-for-18 with five strikeouts (and no walks) with Pawtucket.
Here’s the homer, via the WEEI.com Zaprudercam:
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Swihart learning to catch the knuckler in Pawtucket
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 7: Low Minors Pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Brentz walks off for PawSox home opener
- Cup of Coffee: Jackie Bradley Jr. continues hot start, Pawtucket falls in doubleheader
- System Restart 2015, Pt. 6: Mid-Minors Pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Margot, Longhi, and Cecchini provide the power
- Podcast Ep. 73: Scout Talk and Season's Start
- Cup of Coffee: Abbreviated 2015 debuts for Kopech, Barnes
- Weekly Notes: Let the games begin
- Cup of Coffee: Eduardo Rodriguez picks up where he left off