Thursday’s Red Sox-Indians matchups: Jon Lester vs. Zach McAllister
|04.18.13 at 9:38 am ET|
Jon Lester will take the mound Thursday in Cleveland in hopes of continuing one of his strongest runs in recent memory. Zach McAllister will lead the Indians against him in a 7:05 p.m. start.
On April 13, Lester moved into sixth place all-time among Red Sox pitchers with 1,078 career strikeouts. That milestone came during his third straight impressive start, as he went toe-to-toe with Rays ace David Price and held Tampa to one run on five hits over seven innings.
So far in 2013, Lester has been the pitcher the Sox relied on before 2012: 18 strikeouts, three walks and a 0.95 WHIP. He’s allowed just three runs in his first three starts, in a total of 19 innings.
Lester has made 11 career starts against the Indians, the most he’s faced any team outside the AL East. He’s typically fared well: He has a 3.34 ERA and a 1.19 WHIP against them and has struck out 70, while walking just 23, in 64 2/3 innings.
This is McAllister’s second full year as a starter for the Indians. The 25-year-old finished 2012 with a 4.24 ERA and a 1.36 WHIP. He went 6 1/3 innings in his first two starts of 2013, with nine strikeouts, no walks and 11 hits over that span.
McAllister had a 3.18 ERA at the end of July last year but struggled somewhat down the stretch, with a 5.06 mark in August and a 5.52 in September and October. He last saw the Red Sox on Aug. 11, when he allowed just three hits and two runs over eight innings in a 5-2 Indians win.
The Sox haven’t faced McAllister enough to allow much speculation on how they’ll match up against him, but of those who have seen him, Dustin Pedroia, Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Mike Carp and Jacoby Ellsbury all have hit him for extra bases, including a home run from Carp.
Nick Swisher, who signed with the Indians this offseason, has fared well against Lester in 57 PAs: He’s hitting .326/.429/.587, with two home runs and six doubles.
Red Sox vs. McAllister (RHP)
Dustin Pedroia (7 plate appearances): .286/.286/.429, 1 double, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (6): .167/.167/.333, 1 double, 2 strikeouts
Mike Carp (5): .250/.400/1.000, 1 home run, 2 RBI, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Stephen Drew (3): .000/.667/.000, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
Jacoby Ellsbury (3): .667/.667/1.333, 2 doubles, 1 strikeout
Jonny Gomes (3): .000/.000/.000, 2 strikeouts
Will Middlebrooks (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Daniel Nava (3): .667/.667/.667, 1 strikeout
Indians vs. Lester (LHP)
Nick Swisher (57): .326/.429/.587, 2 HR, 6 doubles, 8 RBI, 8 walks, 12 strikeouts
Asdrubal Cabrera (20): .188/.222/.250, 1 double, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 8 strikeouts
Mark Reynolds (16): .308/.438/.615, 1 HR, 1 double, 2 RBI, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Michael Bourn (7): .286/.286/.286, 2 strikeouts
Jason Giambi (6): .333/.333/.500, 1 double, 2 RBI, 2 strikeouts
Ryan Raburn (6): .333/.333/.333, 3 strikeouts
Carlos Santana (6): .250/.333/.250, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Mike Aviles (5): .000/.200/.000, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Michael Brantley (5): .200/.200/.200, 3 strikeouts
Yan Gomes (3): .333/.333/.333, 1 strikeout
Lonnie Chisenhall, Jason Kipnis, Cord Phelps and Drew Stubbs have never faced Lester.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Boston Red Sox: Final Predictions for Each Key Spring Position Battle
- Boston Red Sox: The 5 Most Disappointing Players in Spring Training So...
- David Price Likely to Start Season on DL as He Recovers from Arm Injury
- Boston Red Sox: 5 Players Who Are in Serious Danger of Being Cut or...
- David Price Reportedly Won't Need Elbow Surgery, Will Be Out 7-10 Days
- David Price's Elbow Could Make or Break Red Sox's World Series Dreams
- David Price Underwent MRI on Elbow Injury, Scratched from Spring Training...
- Podcast Ep. #114: Straight Outta A-Ball
- Fort Report: New scouting reports, Meyers motivational WBC experience
- Ockimey making adjustments after second-half swoon
- Notes from the Field: Mata, Anderson, Dalbec, Hill and more from Day Three
- Meyers' big WBC moment now his motivation in camp
- Fort Report: Staff spends the weekend at camp
- Notes from the Field: Devers, Tobias, Garcia and more from Days One and Two
- Fort Report: Owens, Johnson highlight first round of cuts
- Podcast Ep. #113: It's Hard to Develop Baseball Players
- Podcast Ep. #112: If He Dies, He Dies