Thursday’s Red Sox-Indians matchups: Jon Lester vs. Zach McAllister
|04.18.13 at 9:38 am ET|
Jon Lester will take the mound Thursday in Cleveland in hopes of continuing one of his strongest runs in recent memory. Zach McAllister will lead the Indians against him in a 7:05 p.m. start.
On April 13, Lester moved into sixth place all-time among Red Sox pitchers with 1,078 career strikeouts. That milestone came during his third straight impressive start, as he went toe-to-toe with Rays ace David Price and held Tampa to one run on five hits over seven innings.
So far in 2013, Lester has been the pitcher the Sox relied on before 2012: 18 strikeouts, three walks and a 0.95 WHIP. He’s allowed just three runs in his first three starts, in a total of 19 innings.
Lester has made 11 career starts against the Indians, the most he’s faced any team outside the AL East. He’s typically fared well: He has a 3.34 ERA and a 1.19 WHIP against them and has struck out 70, while walking just 23, in 64 2/3 innings.
This is McAllister’s second full year as a starter for the Indians. The 25-year-old finished 2012 with a 4.24 ERA and a 1.36 WHIP. He went 6 1/3 innings in his first two starts of 2013, with nine strikeouts, no walks and 11 hits over that span.
McAllister had a 3.18 ERA at the end of July last year but struggled somewhat down the stretch, with a 5.06 mark in August and a 5.52 in September and October. He last saw the Red Sox on Aug. 11, when he allowed just three hits and two runs over eight innings in a 5-2 Indians win.
The Sox haven’t faced McAllister enough to allow much speculation on how they’ll match up against him, but of those who have seen him, Dustin Pedroia, Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Mike Carp and Jacoby Ellsbury all have hit him for extra bases, including a home run from Carp.
Nick Swisher, who signed with the Indians this offseason, has fared well against Lester in 57 PAs: He’s hitting .326/.429/.587, with two home runs and six doubles.
Red Sox vs. McAllister (RHP)
Dustin Pedroia (7 plate appearances): .286/.286/.429, 1 double, 1 RBI, 1 strikeout
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (6): .167/.167/.333, 1 double, 2 strikeouts
Mike Carp (5): .250/.400/1.000, 1 home run, 2 RBI, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts
Stephen Drew (3): .000/.667/.000, 2 walks, 1 strikeout
Jacoby Ellsbury (3): .667/.667/1.333, 2 doubles, 1 strikeout
Jonny Gomes (3): .000/.000/.000, 2 strikeouts
Will Middlebrooks (3): .000/.000/.000, 1 strikeout
Daniel Nava (3): .667/.667/.667, 1 strikeout
Indians vs. Lester (LHP)
Nick Swisher (57): .326/.429/.587, 2 HR, 6 doubles, 8 RBI, 8 walks, 12 strikeouts
Asdrubal Cabrera (20): .188/.222/.250, 1 double, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 8 strikeouts
Mark Reynolds (16): .308/.438/.615, 1 HR, 1 double, 2 RBI, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
Michael Bourn (7): .286/.286/.286, 2 strikeouts
Jason Giambi (6): .333/.333/.500, 1 double, 2 RBI, 2 strikeouts
Ryan Raburn (6): .333/.333/.333, 3 strikeouts
Carlos Santana (6): .250/.333/.250, 1 RBI, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts
Mike Aviles (5): .000/.200/.000, 1 walk, 1 strikeout
Michael Brantley (5): .200/.200/.200, 3 strikeouts
Yan Gomes (3): .333/.333/.333, 1 strikeout
Lonnie Chisenhall, Jason Kipnis, Cord Phelps and Drew Stubbs have never faced Lester.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Betts Has Real Chance of Crashing AL MVP Party
- MLB Betting Preview: Red Sox vs. Orioles Odds, Analysis
- David Ortiz Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Foot
- Can Benintendi Be Pennant Race Difference-Maker?
- Updates on Red Sox Star Hanley Ramirez's Injury
- Andrew Benintendi Recalled from Double-a
- Fernando Abad to Red Sox
- Scouting Scratch: Mike Shawaryn and Shaun Anderson
- Cup of Coffee: LaMarre powers Pawtucket, Kopech whiffs 10
- After draft slide, Shawaryn regaining peak form in Lowell
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada shows off power and defense as he eyes the big leagues
- 2014 First-rounder Michael Chavis promoted to High A Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Jason Groome era begins with two scoreless innings
- Weekly Notes: Groome debuts, Kopech and Dalbec stay hot
- Cup of Coffee: Salem wins 10th straight, Hill, Tubbs carry Lowell
- Podcast Ep. #104: BeninBoston
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Luis Alexander Basabe