Will Middlebrooks on early struggles: ‘I’m beating myself’
|04.18.13 at 4:53 pm ET|
Talking to reporters prior to the Red Sox‘ series finale in Cleveland, Will Middlebrooks discussed not being in the lineup against right-hander Zach McAllister.
It is the first day off for Middlebrooks, who is hitting .182, having struck out 18 times while drawing three walks.
‘Of course I want to play. I don’t like sitting out,’ the third baseman told reporters. ‘But I can see where this could help to clear my head and get back at it. The team’s done great. The team’s picked me up. The pitching’s picked me up. I tell the guys, ‘I’ll go out there and play defense for you guys. Just keep hitting.’ They’ve had my back. They’ve picked me up. I’m just doing whatever I can to help us out.’
Since his 4-for-5, three-home run game in Toronto April 7, Middlebrooks is 2-for-30 with one RBI.
‘I’m just not hitting the ball, man,’ he said. ‘I’m not going to get too down about it. I understand it’s part of the game. We’re 15 games in. ‘¦ I’m not too worried about it.’
He added, ‘I’m not going to change my routine. I’m not going to change my approach. I’m not going to change my bats. It’s’ 30 at-bats. I’m not worried about it. ‘¦ I don’t see anything. I think that’s when you dig yourself into a deeper hole, when you start trying to change things ‘ especially mechanics. I’m not even going to worry about that.’
Middlebrooks has totaled 322 major-league at-bats, hitting .270 with an .804 OPS. Perhaps most impressive is that the Red Sox are 53-36 with him in the lineup.
‘I’m not overmatched,’ he said. ‘I’m not getting beat by pitchers. I’m beating myself. It’s just something I’ve got to get through.’
Pedro Ciriaco replaces Middlebrooks in the starting lineup, hitting ninth.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- Podcast Ep. 70: Moncada signs, Ben Badler talks, PawSox sold!
- PawSox sold to group including Lucchino; reports say move to Providence likely
- Fort Report: Top prospects prepare for biggest tests yet
- Report: Red Sox have agreement to sign Moncada for $31.5M
- Unveiling the updated SoxProspects scouting reports, stage one
- Owens, Johnson among eight invited to Red Sox spring training
- Chicago Cubs claim Drake Britton off waivers
- Offseason Notes: Red Sox continue to shape roster
- Drake Britton designated for assignment as Red Sox sign Ogando
- Trade Analysis: Scouting Anthony Ranaudo