Red Sox COO Sam Kennedy: ‘We didn’t want to cause any distraction for what’s important here’
|04.19.13 at 3:55 pm ET|
Red Sox Chief Operating Officer Sam Kennedy said in a phone conversation that the Red Sox followed the lead of government agencies in making the decision about whether to postpone Friday night’s game at Fenway Park against the Royals.
“We did not have any employees come to work. We asked the players to stay home. We asked the employees stay home. We’ve been in communication with the public officials and Major League Baseball, and we made the decision to postpone the game given everything that’s going on,” said Kennedy. “We’ve been in touch with the Boston police, the Massachusetts officials from various agencies, and been sort of following the lead of public officials, which we all need to do right now given the severity of the situations.”
The Sox also communicated with the Bruins throughout the day to determine a course of action regarding postponement of their game. Given the security demands of a stadium event, it became clear that the ongoing city-wide lockdown during the pursuit of suspected Marathon bomber Dzhokar Tsarnaev necessitated that the games not take place on Friday night.
“We’ve been in touch with [Bruins president] Cam Neely and [VP of sales and marketing] Amy Latimer of the Bruins throughout the day and both agreed we wanted to be in sync with each other, and monitor the event. We didn’t want to be a drain on any of the resources that are being dedicated to the current investigation and efforts. So we tried to be as respectful as possible and waited to get information,” said Kennedy. “Obviously the city is still in a state of lockdown, so the Bruins and Red Sox felt it was prudent to postpone the games. We made that decision and put that word out.
“We didn’t want to cause any distraction for what’s important here,” said Kennedy. “And what’s important here is they find this guy.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red Sox Will Not Fill GM Position After Mike Hazen's Hiring by...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Recovery from Knee...
- Complete Offseason Guide, Predictions for the Boston Red Sox
- John Farrell to Return as Red Sox Manager: Latest Contract Details,...
- Red Sox's Disappointing ALDS Sweep Ends Iconic David Ortiz Era on Down...
- Ramirez, Ortiz, Betts Each Record 30+ Home Runs, 100+ RBI
- Indians vs. Red Sox ALDS Game 3: Live Score and Highlights
- FallWinter League Roundup: Dominican League begins, Haley solid
- Fall/Winter League Roundup: Moncada shines in AFL
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Mauricio Dubon
- Podcast Ep. #107: Instructs 2016
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Three
- Weekly Notes: Scouting Instructs, Moncada reassigned to the minors
- 2016 SoxProspects.com All-Stars
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part Two, Jason Groome and Gerson Bautista
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins