Allen Webster will make major league debut Sunday
|04.20.13 at 6:29 pm ET|
Red Sox manager John Farrell announced after his team’s 4-3 win over Kansas City Saturday that Allen Webster will get the start in the second game of the doubleheader between the Sox and Royals Sunday.
Webster, who made a favorable impression on the big league club throughout spring training, has allowed just one run in his 10 innings with Triple-A Pawtucket this season. The righty has struck out 12 and walked three in 10 innings.
Webster, who came over from the Dodgers along with Rubby De La Rosa, Jerry Sands and Ivan DeJesus in their August trade with the Red Sox last season, is coming off a five-inning outing Monday in which he allowed a run on five hits while fanning seven.
Prior to this season, the 23-year-old hadn’t pitched above Double-A. Webster pitched in 11 innings this spring training, striking out 14 and walking one while allowing three runs (2 earned) on nine hits.
When asked the reasoning behind starting Webster (who will follow Ryan Dempster), Farrell said, “Why? He’s a really good-looking young pitcher. And he’s rested and he’s ready to go.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Scouting Scratch: Fall Instructs Part One
- Weekly Notes: Fall Instructional League begins
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston