Allen Webster will make major league debut Sunday
|04.20.13 at 6:29 pm ET|
Red Sox manager John Farrell announced after his team’s 4-3 win over Kansas City Saturday that Allen Webster will get the start in the second game of the doubleheader between the Sox and Royals Sunday.
Webster, who made a favorable impression on the big league club throughout spring training, has allowed just one run in his 10 innings with Triple-A Pawtucket this season. The righty has struck out 12 and walked three in 10 innings.
Webster, who came over from the Dodgers along with Rubby De La Rosa, Jerry Sands and Ivan DeJesus in their August trade with the Red Sox last season, is coming off a five-inning outing Monday in which he allowed a run on five hits while fanning seven.
Prior to this season, the 23-year-old hadn’t pitched above Double-A. Webster pitched in 11 innings this spring training, striking out 14 and walking one while allowing three runs (2 earned) on nine hits.
When asked the reasoning behind starting Webster (who will follow Ryan Dempster), Farrell said, “Why? He’s a really good-looking young pitcher. And he’s rested and he’s ready to go.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Unexpected Trades Red Sox Could Pull Off This Offseason
- Dream Free-Agent Pickups for Red Sox
- Red Sox Free Agency News and Trade Rumors
- Should Red Sox Trade Cespedes This Offseason?
- Red Sox's Most Tradeable Assets for Offseason
- Uehara Inks 2-Year Extension with Sox
- Possible Trade Partners, Packages for Cespedes
- The Write-Up: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Stankiewicz fires eight-inning gem to lead Salem
- Weekly Notes: The Yoan Moncada era begins
- Cup of Coffee: Ball shuts down Dash offense, Callahan has wild outing
- Cup of Coffee: Witte walks off for Portland, Buttrey goes seven strong for Salem
- Cup of Coffee: Kopech drives Greenville past Charleston
- Cup of Coffee: Gunkel grabs first Double-A win, Craig reaches five times
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada breaks out, PawSox lose heartbreaker
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson goes six strong, Moncada picks up first hit
- Cup of Coffee: Moncada era begins; phenom scores twice in slugfest