Red Sox lineup: David Ortiz hits cleanup in return
|04.20.13 at 9:58 am ET|
Even in a best-case scenario, it’s hard to imagine that anyone would have thought that the Red Sox would own an 11-4 record while without the services of David Ortiz for the first 15 games of the season. Nonetheless, that is exactly the position in which the team finds itself as it prepares to return to the field with Ortiz following Friday’s all-consuming day of monitoring the pursuit and capture of Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.
Ortiz is slotted into the cleanup spot in the batting order as he prepares to face the same Royals team against whom he played his only game in the final two-plus months of last season. He will face a familiar foe in a new uniform, as right-hander James Shields will be on the mound for Kansas City. Ortiz has faced Shields, the former Rays starter, 65 times — fifth most of any opposing pitcher in his career. The DH has strong numbers against the right-hander, with a .298 average, .385 OBP and .632 slugging mark and three homers against him.
Clay Buchholz, meanwhile, will look to sustain his dazzling start to the season. He will be paired with David Ross behind the plate, perhaps in deference to the fact that Jarrod Saltalamacchia is 0-for-14 in his career against Shields.
RED SOX LINEUP
Clay Buchholz, SP
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated
- Scouting Scratch: Jason Groome