FCC chairman Julius Genachowski backs David Ortiz profanity
|04.21.13 at 7:17 am ET|
In a tweet from the verified account of the US Federal Communications Commission, FCC chairman Julius Genachowski — whose agency was left to deal with the fallout when a profanity used by David Ortiz during a moving pregame ceremony at Fenway Park aired on both local and national television networks — expressed support for the slugger.
David Ortiz spoke from the heart at today’s Red Sox game. I stand with Big Papi and the people of Boston – Julius
‘ The FCC (@FCC) April 20, 2013
In his brief remarks prior to Saturday’s game against the Royals, Ortiz said, ‘All right. All right Boston. This jersey that we wear today, it doesn’t say Red Sox. It says Boston. We want to thank you Mayor [Thomas] Menino, Governor [Deval] Patrick, the whole police department for the great job they did this past week. This is our [expletive] city and nobody is going to dictate our freedom. Stay strong.’
After the game, Ortiz said that his remarks were not premeditated, and apologized if anyone took offense to his heartfelt expression.
“It just came out. It just came out, man. It just came out,” he said. “If I offended anybody, I apologize, but I feel like this town needs to be pumped. It seems like that was it.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Red Sox Outfielder Chris Young Injury's
- Moncada Has a 'Following Everywhere We Go'
- AL ERA Leader Steven Wright Filling Red Sox's Need for Co-Ace
- Rusney Castillo Clears Waivers, Sent to Triple-A: Comments, Reaction
- Ted Williams 'Would Have Loved' Ortiz Hitting HR No. 521
- Prospect Profile for Red Sox's 1st-Round Pick Jason Groome
- Can Red Sox Make Real Run at 1,000 Runs in 2016?
- 2016 Annual Drive - Help Keep SoxProspects Free!
- Podcast Ep. #100: Your regularly scheduled June programming
- Red Sox promote Miller, option Cuevas
- Weekly Notes: Promotions continue and scouting notes
- Cup of Coffee: Ball great again, Benintendi stays hot
- Cup of Coffee: Espinoza, O'Sullivan impress on the mound
- SoxProspects Featured Video: Sam Travis
- Cup of Coffee: GCL opens season, Washington, Moncada mash
- Scouting Scratch: Kevin Steen, Enmanuel De Jesus and more Lowell pitchers
- Cup of Coffee: Beeks, Dubon debut at Double-A, Lowell wins again