Jonny Gomes honors bombing victims with custom bats
|04.21.13 at 5:56 pm ET|
Though he went 0-for-4 on Sunday, Red Sox left fielder Jonny Gomes had arguably the most notable plate appearances of the day by a member of the Red Sox. Gomes was using a pair of custom-made Victus bats meant to honor the three victims who died in Monday’s bombings during the Boston Marathon as well as the police officer who lost his life in pursuit of the suspected perpetrators of the bombings.
His bat featured the inscription, “Boston Strong,” with the names of Martin Richard, Lu Lingzi, Krystle Campbell and Sean Collier below the phrase.
Gomes said his agent contacted him to suggest that he either use or publicize the bats. Of the four that Gomes received, he employed two during the game — one in his first at-bat, another in his second plate appearance — and that he plans to have the entire team sign the bats and auction them off to raise money for One Fund Boston.
“I think there’s a couple of other characteristics that come into play when you do become a professional, I don’t think you’re a professional just for your talents. I think you have to be a role model. You’re representing the whole area,” Gomes said of his desire to use the bats. “It’s such a unique situation like that, it touched all our hearts, just from being scared in lockdown to some people losing their lives, so I mean, I think everyone is up to something, individually or as a team, to help the community out. It’s definitely not about me by any means, it’s just about who’s on the bat, about the cause that it’s going to help out.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Red-Hot Red Sox Emerging as Alpha Dog in AL
- David Ortiz Passes Dave Kingman for Most HRs by a Player in His Final...
- Dustin Pedroia Injury: Updates on Red Sox Star's Knee and Return
- Price Starting to Become Clutch Ace at Crucial Time
- David Ortiz Comments on Donald Trump
- Yoan Moncada to Be Recalled from Double-A Portland by Red Sox
- Moncada Could Provide Red Sox with Spark
- Podcast Ep. #106: AJ No-Teller
- Weekly Notes: Benintendi & Moncada among award winners
- SoxProspects.com 2016 season-end award winners
- Groome highlights 2016 Fall Instructional League roster
- Moncada named Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year
- Weekly Notes: Minor league season ends, Moncada struggles in Bigs
- Cup of Coffee: Salem's narrow loss ends season for whole system
- Podcast Ep. #105: MoncadainBoston
- Cup of Coffee: Devers helps keep Salem alive, Lowell eliminated
- Scouting Scratch: Jason Groome