Jonny Gomes honors bombing victims with custom bats
|04.21.13 at 5:56 pm ET|
Though he went 0-for-4 on Sunday, Red Sox left fielder Jonny Gomes had arguably the most notable plate appearances of the day by a member of the Red Sox. Gomes was using a pair of custom-made Victus bats meant to honor the three victims who died in Monday’s bombings during the Boston Marathon as well as the police officer who lost his life in pursuit of the suspected perpetrators of the bombings.
His bat featured the inscription, “Boston Strong,” with the names of Martin Richard, Lu Lingzi, Krystle Campbell and Sean Collier below the phrase.
Gomes said his agent contacted him to suggest that he either use or publicize the bats. Of the four that Gomes received, he employed two during the game — one in his first at-bat, another in his second plate appearance — and that he plans to have the entire team sign the bats and auction them off to raise money for One Fund Boston.
“I think there’s a couple of other characteristics that come into play when you do become a professional, I don’t think you’re a professional just for your talents. I think you have to be a role model. You’re representing the whole area,” Gomes said of his desire to use the bats. “It’s such a unique situation like that, it touched all our hearts, just from being scared in lockdown to some people losing their lives, so I mean, I think everyone is up to something, individually or as a team, to help the community out. It’s definitely not about me by any means, it’s just about who’s on the bat, about the cause that it’s going to help out.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- MLB Reportedly 'Looking Into' Ortiz's Comments for Tampering
- Red Sox Pay Heavy, but Necessary Price to Go for It with Pomeranz
- Moncada Primed to Make Phenom-Loaded Red Sox Even Richer
- Craig Kimbrel Injury Updates on Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Latest on Brad Ziegler to Red Sox
- Brewers Trade INF Aaron Hill to Red Sox
- Bradley, Betts, and Bogaerts Give MLB a New-Age 'Killer B's'
- Scouting Scratch: Henry Owens
- Cup of Coffee: Chris Marrero, pitching help PawSox clip Red Wings
- Cup of Coffee: Sermo homers three times; Basabe keeps streaking
- Scouting Scratch: Luis Alexander Basabe and Michael Chavis
- Cup of Coffee: Procyshen homers, Benintendi triples in victories
- Podcast Ep. #103: Yes Devers loves me, the homers tell me so
- Weekly notes: Benintendi moves to left field
- Cup of Coffee: Dubon collects four hits, Kemp blasts two homers
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero and Devers homer, Dalbec debuts
- Cup of Coffee: Benintendi debuts in left, Basabe stays hot