Jonny Gomes honors bombing victims with custom bats
|04.21.13 at 5:56 pm ET|
Though he went 0-for-4 on Sunday, Red Sox left fielder Jonny Gomes had arguably the most notable plate appearances of the day by a member of the Red Sox. Gomes was using a pair of custom-made Victus bats meant to honor the three victims who died in Monday’s bombings during the Boston Marathon as well as the police officer who lost his life in pursuit of the suspected perpetrators of the bombings.
His bat featured the inscription, “Boston Strong,” with the names of Martin Richard, Lu Lingzi, Krystle Campbell and Sean Collier below the phrase.
Gomes said his agent contacted him to suggest that he either use or publicize the bats. Of the four that Gomes received, he employed two during the game — one in his first at-bat, another in his second plate appearance — and that he plans to have the entire team sign the bats and auction them off to raise money for One Fund Boston.
“I think there’s a couple of other characteristics that come into play when you do become a professional, I don’t think you’re a professional just for your talents. I think you have to be a role model. You’re representing the whole area,” Gomes said of his desire to use the bats. “It’s such a unique situation like that, it touched all our hearts, just from being scared in lockdown to some people losing their lives, so I mean, I think everyone is up to something, individually or as a team, to help the community out. It’s definitely not about me by any means, it’s just about who’s on the bat, about the cause that it’s going to help out.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Cup of Coffee: Hassan stays hot; Victorino looks strong in rehab
- Cup of Coffee: Heller and Martinez lead Salem; Travis powers Lowell
- Red Sox acquire left-hander Ryan Verdugo from Royals
- Players of the Week, 7/7-13: Alex Hassan & Steven Wright
- Cup of Coffee: Roberson powers Greenville past Rome
- Cup of Coffee: Moore homers twice to power Spinners
- Weekly Notes: Boston turns to Vazquez, Owens' star shines bright
- Cup of Coffee: Marrero leads PawSox, Spinners fall at Fenway
- Cup of Coffee: Johnson keeps rolling, Blair hits game-winner
- Scouting Scratch: Allen Webster and Dalier Hinojosa